Orange Clockwork respray

Having decided that my c. '91 Clockwork DOES need a re-paint, having to think of a colour! Don't have the skill to do an orange/white fade, so either just same colours but block or all-over in.....what???
Assuming I can get decals (gil_m seems to be the source?) I'd need to choose a paint colour against which they'll show.
Any real point in sticking with orange/white once not original?

Clockwork

A local guy to me would do you a really good custom powder coat, that would be a lot tougher than just paint for £50 or less inc bare metal vapour polish. Go for a nice flat colour, matt Orange looks nice or they used to do a few in a Coffee Brown that looked good.

---

why not pack it off to argos cycles in bristol?

heres the job they did on my orange

Attachments

• ggg.jpg
    ggg.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • pbpic3370691[1].jpg
    pbpic3370691[1].jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,051
That is indeed very pretty - but my pensioner's income doesn't run to that sort of money just for a paint job! Or at least not for what is intended as a cheap every-day bike.
DIY in this instance!

----

oldave":r1uhdt9w said:
That is indeed very pretty - but my pensioner's income doesn't run to that sort of money just for a paint job! Or at least not for what is intended as a cheap every-day bike.
DIY in this instance!

i just about scraped the money together from my small 17 year old's income, but at £185 plus the price of the decals its not exactly cheap

---

oldave":xgaiep9o said:
Having decided that my c. '91 Clockwork DOES need a re-paint, having to think of a colour! Don't have the skill to do an orange/white fade, so either just same colours but block or all-over in.....what???
Assuming I can get decals (gil_m seems to be the source?) I'd need to choose a paint colour against which they'll show.
Any real point in sticking with orange/white once not original?

its not too hard to do it yourself. just take your time and practice on something else first. you can get custom paintcan colours mixed at halfords for £10.99 each

Paint

My local coaters will do a better job for £50 or less that will be a lot prettier and tougher than Argos, turnaround a week, they do custom motor cycle finishes and are pretty good at what they do, a lot of bike shops in the North use them, then stick £50/£70 margin on top for customers! I just know the team really well.##

Ah! So at least you can look forward to many years of ownership and use!!
185 + decals is near enough what I expect the complete bike to end up costing me - and I paid over the odds for the starting point!

Wold Ranger, if I knew of a local powder coater then I would probably go that route. OTOH, it's a while since I've done a paint job and I quite enjoy it. It gives me something to do and I don't have the patience to send the frame away and just wait! Two weeks acquisition to all done is about my attention span.

Coming together.... 25 quid and at least it's clean and tidy enough to be seen on! It really was badly scratched and scraped with no paint on drive chain stay and inside upper fork legs. But it was structually absolutely fine.
Pity the clearances are too tight for the yellow tyres to be other than photogenic!

CLockIt8.jpg

Back