Orange c16r crumple-zone special

Spibblo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've never had a proper crash on an mtb before. I was surprised by damage to my frame after a crash.. see pic below. I hit a tree stump at 20/25 mph, I'm about 14 1/2 stone... would you expect damage like that? Was i just unlucky or was it a dodgy frame? Just curious...
Pretty sure the warranty expired 18 years ago :LOL:

ps. don't round on me about some of the modern components, I had to build it out of what I had

Attachments

• c16.jpg
    c16.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 514
ahh Ultra Short Wheel Base

Having hit the tree stump I flew over the bars and landed on another tree stump! Suffered a broken wrist which I've just had surgery on to have some plates put in :0(
would be my good hand wouldn't it!

EDIT: Looking for another frame ;)

stew-b":3uv84ybz said:
I'm pretty sure that will polish out... :LOL: hope your wrist get better soon :)

So do I, I'm self employed :!:

The frame itself, is that typical damage? I'm shocked by the extent of the folding and splitting of the tubes. they are quite slender on the c16 and quite thin walled I suppose..

Spibblo":1tjelpxi said:
ahh Ultra Short Wheel Base

Having hit the tree stump I flew over the bars and landed on another tree stump! Suffered a broken wrist which I've just had surgery on to have some plates put in :0(
would be my good hand wouldn't it!

EDIT: Looking for another frame ;)

It might say more about the strength of the fork than it does about a weakness in the frame. The impact energy has to go somewhere.....

I hope your wrist heals fast, sorry about your crash.

Reynolds 531DB used to do exactly that on road bikes - as said above, a sacrificial fork is a better way to design things!
It folded up at the end of the tube butting.

I wouldn't say it was an underbuilt frame - that would only be if it had cracked.

Back