Onza bar ends and powder coating

Frogskins

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone. Was wondering if any of you had had a set of Onza bar ends powder coated? The bar ends in question are the ski-bend type with (i believe) the alluminium tube bonded to the clamp section of the bar end (see picture below). Will the baking/curing part of the powder coating process affect the bonding on the bar ends?
Cheers peeps :?

Attachments

• Saracen Tufftrax 1.JPG
    Saracen Tufftrax 1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 903
possibly
it would be difficult to find out what adhesive they used
but most af the adhesives from that time (90's) would be fine up to about 80deg c
powder coat cure is higher than that for temp ,180 deg c usually

the other thing is that unless the use a low temp powder you will anneal the alloy in the bar ends

i'd recomend wet paint

WD Pro on here was worried about the same thing when powdercoating some parts, he put them in his oven at home and the adhesive seemed to hold up just fine. No guarantee though as you can't be sure they used the same adhesive.. Wet paint is probably safer but maybe not feasible if the rest of the bike is getting powdercoated.

:D

WD Pro":36gtn95l said:
Well I had been wondering about the powder coating and it destroying the bonds on the rear strut :?

I had asked on the ProFlex forum and the only real feedback was from ‘shovelon’ who had melted the glue out of his BUT this happened whilst welding very close to the crown, the other ends had been OK.

I did think of just sending it and hoping for the best but if it fell apart I would be inconveniencing the powder coater and be left with parts that I would have to de-powder coat and then re-bond :-(

I had a look on Windridge’s website and it quoted 220°C so we had a little home cooking session to see what would happen :LOL: :

DSC05159.jpg

I hung it rather than laying it flat as it as it will probably be in this position when it is coated and will have its own weight pulling the joints apart.

Checking the surface temp with a fluke IR thermometer confirmed that A) my oven stat is crap, B) the temp control on the oven is crap (it cycles up and down by 25°C) and C) the bonds are OK up to 235°C for 15 mins :cool: I didn’t want to take it any higher or for any longer though …

So it’s off to Windridge with the Marin forks (finally :LOL:) to see that matt black powder coat looks like, guess I will find out in a couple of weeks

DSC05162.jpg

WD :D

The baking temperature will be nowhere near hot enough to anneal the aluminum..... It is somewhere around 650f(depending on alloy) The hottest you need to get to cure powdercoat is around 350-400f

I'm sure I have an original pair of those Onza bar ends in my garage unused. I'll have a look when I get back home if you want?....

I should have added that the glue / epoxy on the rear strut was a 'primer' grey colour but the glue on my onza's was a white / clear - so defo different :?

I guess what I am saying is - don't blame me if they self destruct :LOL: I made sure I had a spare strut before my little experiment ;-)

Crum":2ay4h148 said:
The baking temperature will be nowhere near hot enough to anneal the aluminum..... It is somewhere around 650f(depending on alloy) The hottest you need to get to cure powdercoat is around 350-400f

if they are a t6 to start with ,as they will be, as low as 120 deg c is enough to anneal 6082 t6
i know i do it on a regular basis

180 deg c (ish) is powder coat baking temperature
a lot of frame manufaturers use the powder coat process to normalise
the frames after welding

Back