Old Dawes Galaxy

Libraryman2

Dirt Disciple
Hi all new to this forum, indeed I’m fairly new to cycling...at seventy that’s no mean feat!!
Anyways, I’ve bought myself an old Dawes Galaxy, completely original but bruised paint wise...however at £80:00 I’m pleased..

Can I ask if anyone could give me advise on a couple of questions..

1. The frame number is RA 7315 does this tell me it origin ?
2. The brakes are Center pull Weinmann with 4 levers....the Center bar levers are loose, can these be adjusted or is it simply better to upgrade the brakes and if so, with what?

Ray

Hi Ray,
Alas, Dawes frame number records have been lost, but if you can post some pictures there are some kind souls on here who are pretty impressive bike detectives.
Four lever "safety" brakes were a bit of a fad (lasted about 20 years) but the extension levers can be removed and replaced with good braking technique (and if you pick up either replacement pivots + hoods or new levers can even become comfortable). The original Weinmann brand levers are generally very good and still widely available on eBay etc. You could, of course, replace the levers with a modern combined brake/gear lever setup but this has quite a few downstream implications that could get expensive. The “Galaxy” model varied quite a bit over its long lifetime (I expect they still have one today) and it really depends on which one you have and what sort of cycling you plan to do as to how much money it is worth throwing at it before it makes sense to consider a better starting point.
So, welcome to RB, well done for choosing a Dawes and bring on the pictures!

Z

Hi!

I think I can guess the Galaxy you have - Heres my old Galaxy with a similar brake setup to yours.

file.php

These levers would be an ideal replacement

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dia-Compe-BL ... VxSXHtCUhA

New brake pads too, but dont expect miracles as that design of brake was never that good.

You can, if you are feeling brave, maybe replace them with some new ones such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-R559- ... Swj0NUmYwM

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for replying guys, yes I’ll post a few pics today, I intend to use it but not for touring...in the main it’s just for local riding and keeping trim...I wanted something comfortable and reliable, I think it fits that bill..
The brakes need improving really but my start point is to get them functioning as they were designed....if possible...I accept that they won’t match modern brakes..

The links are really useful and it may be that I go down that route...

Yes mine looks similar, with slight differences, I.e. the cable run on the top bar is on the top....and of course it has foam on the bars not tape..

Ray

Start by renewing with decent brake cables and outers, it's amazing how much better modern ones are! Much more effort gets to where it's needed. Fit new brake blocks as well, the old ones will be hard and not bite well.

After that, enjoy. The Galaxy is a real do-anything machine. Nowadays that's called a Gravel Bike, a recent discovery of the sort of bike that suits most of us best, even if we often get dazzled by the hype.

I can recommend the Clarks Zero-G cables.
What's the current state of the art for brake blocks, Hamster?

I’ve had one of those old galaxys too... nice bike it was, very comfy. IMO the original weinmann centre pulls are pretty good as long as pads and cables are decent, I upgraded the levers on mine for the better weinmann ones with quick release tabs. The plastic simplex gears (and cottered chainset) are probably more of a candidate for an upgrade, but once you start, where do you stop...

Probably best to just service and enjoy, just fix the broke bits...:)

Re:

Hi again, struggled with uploading a pic, hope it comes through!
After adjusting the brakes yesterday, they feel better but still needs new cables and blocks

Hopefully I’ve figured out how to add a photo!
This is the girl...I’ve removed the rear rack, I don’t need it for my runs..

Ray

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 825
Back