old but funny - XJ220 Jaguar as seen on Top Gear

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
It really was an old Jaguar test car for the 220.

Imagine meeting this at the lights...

Anyway, here it is at Goodwood:

DSCF5039.jpg

DSCF5047.jpg

DSCF5045.jpg

Very amusing - saw it t'other night.

As is drove up - I thought the wheels were odd for a Transit - they reminded me of something..... couldn't quite place them until they mentioned XJ220!

They did it in the mid 90s with a Transit shell and an F1 engine - I think around 94, because I think it had some Benetton colouring on it.

They ran that up the hill at Goodwood last year.

Neil":1soy1gqx said:
They did it in the mid 90s with a Transit shell and an F1 engine - I think around 94, because I think it had some Benetton colouring on it.

I think you're referring to the Renault Espace F1? Has a 750hp Williams-Renault V10 in it (yes, that's Mr. Prost behind the wheel).

Renault-Espace-F1-3.jpg

Renault-Espace-F1-Last.jpg

FMJ":1i28elvx said:

Neil":1i28elvx said:

I think you're referring to the Renault Espace F1? Has a 750hp Williams-Renault V10 in it (yes, that's Mr. Prost behind the wheel).

Yeah, so? The transits got a roof rack.

Ner.

FMJ":2gidnk8e said:

Neil":2gidnk8e said:

No, I'm definitely thinking of a Transit.

Might have seen it a few years later on Top Gear.

Definitely had some blue on it, like the colours Benetton ran in 94, when they were running with Ford engines - which is, I think, the era it came from.

edit: think it might have been called the Ford Supervan 3 / MK III.

alistair":p8a0j0c2 said:
Neil":p8a0j0c2 said:
Are you thinking of super van 3?http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/2037/Ford-Supervan-3_1.html
That's the one - originally with a 94 F1 Ford engine and Benetton running gear.

From what I've just read via google, the F1 engine and running gear were retired, and it now runs under different steam, so to speak.

Back