OK, i'm putting this out there, i'm likely to get toasted

Re: OK, i'm putting this out there, i'm likely to get toaste

I like Gripshift and have used it on pretty much every mtb I've built since 1994.

This summer I built an Arthur Caygill, and to prove to those doubters who can be found lurking in the dark crevices ands corners of this very forum, I built it with canti brakes and thumb shifters. I have not ridder Art as much as I should have, but what is noticeable is that thumb shifters just do not work quickly, they really do need a bit of thinking time and if you ask them to react too quickly there is a wailing and a great gnashing of teeth, especially from the front chainrings.

The latest generation of shifters react almost instantly, just like modern technology, but thumb shifters are from a slower, more leisurely time, when gear shifting was not so imperative, gentlemen would doff their caps when passing walkers and when summer lasted from April until the end of September.

I wouldn't say thumbies are crap, just slower than a village idiot after a large Sunday roast.

On my modern mtb i run a thumbie for shifting the front gears.
It works perfectly on friction with the stops set correctly on the mech for my doublring set up.
Its a Suntour XC something or other and its lighter than an X9 Sram double shifter to boot :D

I don't like thumbies, Gripshit is shit. RF+ is where it's at ;)

Me too. I got fed up with not being able to get the rapidfire shifter set-up so that the chain didn't rub when I used the outer sprockets of the cassette, whereas with a thumb shifter I can "trim" it.

There is no doubt that shifting was more difficult BITD. It was nearly impossible to downshift under load if you got in a unexpected steep section. The biggest improvement was more the chainrings and cassettes than the shifters. Profiled teeth, ramps and pins that allow the chain to move under tension made all of the difference in the world

xerxes":2yqdoyg5 said:

Me too. I got fed up with not being able to get the rapidfire shifter set-up so that the chain didn't rub when I used the outer sprockets of the cassette, whereas with a thumb shifter I can "trim" it.

I am about to do the same "upgrade" on my 9-speed Kula.

Never used thumbies but have recently been tempted to change to them , after front mech adjusting issues with RF . Also there is no click or 'feel' when changing down at the rear with RF . BITD they felt ok with Gore Ride-On cables , but seeing the price of these now :shock: , I can get several pairs of shifters and still have change ! Been using gripshift without any issues , but wanted to see what else worked too . I think thumbies would look better on
than Gripshift . Whaddya reckon ?
Mike

Attachments

• Scott2.jpg
    Scott2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 215
  • frontal.jpg
    frontal.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 215

NeilM":2z4whh5o said:
I wouldn't say thumbies are crap, just slower than a village idiot after a large Sunday roast.

They suit me fine.

I still remember the gunfire like clack as my thumbies were loaded up ready for the race back to the shop. They are not slow at all just the noise can be a give away when you are trying to get one up on your manager.

Latest posts

Back