Not vintage or French Tourers/Campeurs, Trade/Porteurs, Audax/Randonneurs, Commuters/Town

The MAFAC arms are connected directly to the seatstays, not to a plate. The studs are positioned close to where the stays connect to the seattube. I think it is a more rigid setup than when you place the studs somewhere halfway the stays. Vittorio also had specific 'Randonneur' models with a double pair of seatstays. I had one. That bike also had a 48h tandem hub. Very heavy duty, but also a bit heavy. The purpose of this 'Strada' randonneur is light weight touring. It is a very fast bike.

Itchy fingers.
Rebuilt my Raysport again.
Sugino PX triple, White Industries Ti bottom bracket and long cage on the Nuovo Record rear derailleur. I had a hard time getting the shifting working on the front until I ditched the spiral stainless cable housing for more modern stuff.

The wheels use Avocet (Ofmega) sealed bearing hubs laced to Mavic MA2 with Sapim Laser spokes.

IMG_20230717_071527.jpg IMG_20230717_070725.jpg IMG_20230717_070641.jpg IMG_20230717_070545.jpg IMG_20230717_070521.jpg

Nice bike, shame about the brakes :( Edit really needs mudguards to work as a porteur or town bike.
Well, here's another. Does this count? Still a shame about the brakes if you're not a disc fan...This bike is currently here in my home town with Tom's dad. May be for sale. It's spent all its life in a London bikeshop window promoting Brooks saddles. donhou utility.JPG

1992 Bridgestone RB-T randonneur. Owners words below.

The RB-T was designed by Grant Peterson to be a sport touring bicycle, a fore-runner of today’s hybrid bikes. It’s intended to fill a number of roles, from putting in long rides on the road and off road trails, to weekend touring loaded with gear. It does all of these things quite well, and has a classic style that harks back to the French randonneur, audax bicycles of the 1950’s and 60’s.

Nitto M-12 front rack and R-15 rear, and SKS longboard fenders. Modern Tektro aero brake levers. Changed the standard cantilevers with Dia Compe 981 which have a more classic look. The bar tape is Newbaum’s black velo cloth, and has a layer of cork tape under it for comfort. Finished off with shellacked hemp twine on the bars and drive-side chain stay. The seatpost is a Sugino SP-KC with measurements engraved in the flutes. Assos saddle. The standard Avocet tyres were replaced with Panaracer Pacela Tourguards 700x32c.

rbt_01_lg.jpg rbt_02_lg.jpg rbt_03_lg.jpg rbt_04_lg.jpg rbt_05_lg.jpg rbt_06_lg.jpg rbt_07_lg.jpg

1978 Centurion Pro Tour 650b conversion. Owners words below.

This bike was a Centurion Pro Tour originally, a high-quality Japanese-made touring bike from 1978. One of Centurion's top-of-the-line models, the Pro Tour had some features rarely seen on a production bike, brazed-on centerpull brake calipers and a fully chromed frame. Later iterations of the Pro Tour (from 1980-1984) had more common cantilever brakes, making the early editions quite rare. I decided to strip the paint off to reveal the original chrome underneath, and while I was at it, to convert the bike to 650B wheels instead of using the

I kept the original SunTour Cyclone mechs, but swapped out the original SR Apex crank for one I made using Nervar 631 crank arms and 50.4 BCD chainrings from a Viscount. Halfway through the build I decided to use upright "porteur" style bars, and so instead of using the SunTour bar-end shifters it came with, I put on a set of Shimano stem shifters.

Honjo mudguards and chrome racks. The rear rack is a handmade, vintage French piece that I found on eBay two years ago and have been saving for the right project. Since the bike frame lacked braze-ons for a rack, I used P clips. The front rack is a Velo Orange.

centurion1.jpg centurion2.jpg centurion3.jpg centurion4.jpg

Back