NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

partly gutted, as I had my eye on that

HOWEVER.....
who am I to stand in the way of such generosity and kindness... congratulations, and well done to the mystery samaritan :cool:

restores your faith in humanity, doesnt it....

I tell you something. The feeling that swept through my body when it dawned on me what I'd done was terrible. I think I actually stood with my head in my hands for a while before I was able to think straight about it. My monthly budget for bike stuff is about 20 quid so it is a big loss.

I have a couple of things to sell on eBay, including a complete 9sp LX drivetrain (shifters/mechs/chainset etc) I was saving for my wife's bike. If that goes through I'll be ok.

you're lucky... my monthly budget is whatever I can squirrel away without her noticing :cool:

if you're reading this baby..... love you ;)

unkleGsif":11b82sym said:
you're lucky... my monthly budget is whatever I can squirrel away without her noticing :cool:

if you're reading this baby..... love you ;)

I tell my wife about everything I buy - I try to make a bit of cash doing up bikes, servicing things for people and rescuing bikes from dodgy Bradford 2nd hand shops and selling them on.... No retro stuff though... :)

I am very fortunate that I have had 2 bike to work bikes which mean I can have my modern road and mountain bikes with minimal outlay. Generally if I buy stuff for my bike I get my wife something for her cycling too.

Thanks to a very kind donation and the sale of all the nice Suntour kit off my Borrego I am back to square one.

Thanks to all the support from all of you, it's been brilliant.

I've got something to give back now...... :)

Rob Atkin":1a7te5cp said:
I know!!

I am already trying to plan something to "pass if forward" when I am out of this hole....

what about a pair of xt hubbed 26" wheels!

jax13":37gma3ig said:
Rob Atkin":37gma3ig said:
I know!!

I am already trying to plan something to "pass if forward" when I am out of this hole....

what about a pair of xt hubbed 26" wheels!

I knew someone would say that. ;-)

I've sold a lot of kit to pay for those wheels! There are chuffin' lovely to be fair and I didn't want to get rid as I'd lose a lot of money selling them straight away. I don't think many people would have wanted them as the rims are quite heavy duty.

Rob Atkin":nn523zt3 said:
I am doing up a friends old Dawes tourer. It looks like an MTB, butterfly bars, ali frame. Really nice and he has done thousands of miles on it, loves it to bits.

I stripped the entire bike, re-furbished all the XTR stuff he put on it, dismantled every component and checked for wear - -basically did everything to make it run another 10,000 miles. A shop wouldn't have gone to the trouble I did but he needed a thorough job doing.

Anyway, the hubs were shot as they were only cheap ones and the sealing was poor. We decided to go for some XT non-disc hubs with modern XM719 rims - tough enough for loaded touring but not downhill wheel weight. £160 from Merlin.

Anyway, they arrived from Merlin yesterday so I set about fitting them. He had supplied me with some new Michelin tyres so I started to fit them. Came accross a huge problem straight away - he had bought the wrong tyres - 700c instead of 26". I pulled out one of the old wheels and then realised....

the

bike...

was...

700c...

not...

26"..

oh....

.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :( :shock: :( :shock: :( :shock:

So I have to pay for the wheels - £160 I don't have.

So please - check before you buy, especially if it's not your bike.... and please visit my sale threads soon as I need a huge amount of money very quickly.... :-( I'm even having to sell my Flite Ti.

(In my defence the original wheels had very wide downhill-looking Sun rims and 2" tyres on so unless you had them next to some 26" wheels it was to make the mistake - the bike looks like an MTB in every respect)
Plonker...Look before you leap, Man!

danson67":3frn0afp said:
Way to go, Soggz...turn up late and spoil the mood :shock:

Glad you're back on track Rob.
All the best,

Thanks very much. The thing is, I never thought for a second that they were anything but 26". I have bikes of both wheel sizes and have been working on bikes for 20 years, building countless bikes and wheels too. I have never seen a 700c wheel that looked so like a 26" one before. 25mm rims, 2 inch tyres etc. I still look at them now and think they are 26" at first glance.

Back