Noisy internal cables on my Pace!

Tommylurve

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just completed my Pace RC300 and love it. Mixture of the old and the new. But the internal rear brake cable that runs through the top tube rattles whenever I go over a bump. :x Even after 5 mins its doing my head in. If I pull it tight it stops but it won't stay tight.
Do other internal cables do this? How do I remedy this noise? Cheers. T

Some do some don't mine don't much I found having the cable long inside the tube so it braces itself againt the inside of the tube sorted mine.

You could try a teflon cable inner to try and reduce the noise or if the holes are big enough cable grommets/o-rings should work the same way as they do on the outside of a frame.

last resort spray builders foam into the frame, might even stiffen it up a bit :D .....disclaimer: that is a joke do not try it.

hello there i had this problem i cut a old road tube section out and slid it over the cable and into the frame made no noise after that !

Rattle Rattle..

Hi T,

Had the same problem on my Pace, Really did my head in , Bang some expanding foam in the top tube and pull the cable to make the 'run' for the cable.. Problem solved...

Si

Thanks guys, just daydreamed about using expanding foam on my ride home from work, whist listening to the "dink dink" in the background. But discarded that thought as crazy cos the tube exploded :shock: .
Wouldn't that make changing the cable in the future even more difficult ?
I tried pushing the cable in further so it pushes against the sides but it's a braided cable and doesnt want to do that. Thought about twisting the cable to encourage it to hold inside, will give it a go tomoz.
Cheers T

Expanding issue.

Hi T,

Once you have sprayed the foam into the tube and made the 'groove' for the cable then your set.. as it were.. easier to slide the cable back in due to it having a pre-set groove in...

If your not convinced, why dont you try a piece of old tubing with a cable in and spray the said foam inside and pull the cable back n forth to make the groove, and see how it works... if this fails then you'll know.. you will have to let the foam set a little before doing the pullin back n forth bit though...

See how you go and come back and let me know.. ;)

Back