No love for Marin?

mrkawasaki":2d4dxle3 said:
Hate this... ;)
I completely understand.

I could take it off your hands, really cheap - I'd be doing you a favour, really - you don't really want one of them. "70 quid and the Jag, and I'm robbing myself..." (name the film I'll make it 50...)

Really, it's no bother...

thecannibal":1irvpybs said:
That's a nice bike, couldn't claim otherwise. I'm sure it rides lovely, you know, like a top of the range Mondeo ;)
Or perhaps like a number of other top of the range, TI, mass-produced bikes?

Neil":2yv3egt4 said:
thecannibal":2yv3egt4 said:
That's a nice bike, couldn't claim otherwise. I'm sure it rides lovely, you know, like a top of the range Mondeo ;)

Yes, you're quite right. I was being silly. I prostrate myself before your superior rationalism.

thecannibal":gjgvuzh5 said:
Neil":gjgvuzh5 said:
Yes, you're quite right. I was being silly.
Of course you were.

It's just like the sun coming out from behind the clouds, ain't it.
I prostrate myself before your superior rationalism.
About bloody time, young man.

Next time, it's bed, no tv and no tea.

Now go to your room and ruminate on your behaviour.

It's my "superior rationalism" that helps me tolerate this sort of thing.

This is doing nothing to stem my raging desire for a proper retro Ti bike...

marin_3_190.jpg

Bastards.

This maybe a little simplistic (apologies if so) Back in early-mid 90's most of my friends loved kona's (marins other mass produced comparison, please don't shoot me for saying this!) but when I got on them due to my body geometry (curse you Darwin!) they just felt too stretched out, to the point of being unrideable. Marins felt stable and reliable with just enough coolness to take them above your treks et al. The FRS manitou suspension looked cool but even then I had the suspicion it would be rubbish but it didn't stop it being an object of desire. Most of my less hobbit sized friends felt otherwise…. : :D :D D

elPedro666":1nnb6iey said:
Never been even vaguely excited about Marin since they dropped the Zolatone (apart from when they took on John Whyte's designs but that's a bit irrelevant here). But then I've never ridden one, so what do I know? :LOL:

That said, skinnyboy's up there ^^^ could well be the one to change my mind, proper class act! :cool:

Cheers xD

In the world of Fat Klein Bonty et al yeah they ain't nothing special but take it from an owner who has had a shitload of bikes, in the right spec and correct size they just come together. Mine is so lively and comfortable to ride all day long, stiff in the right places and great geometry that provides quick steering and instant out of the saddle sprinting. If it wasn't a Marin it would vaunted as much as a Yates or a Ritchey IMHO. I honestly adore riding mine more than my modern weapons and is always commented on by fellow riders. All personal conjecture aside they are a bargain frame that respond well to the right rider and components!

The Team Ti is nice. :cool:

You tend to find that people that don't like Marin's haven't owned one! I know it stands to reason, but you get what I mean?

£ for lb my 1996 Pine Mountain was the best riding bike I've ever had.

My advice to anyone is, don't talk Marin up and bag yourself a mid 90's Pine or team frame for peanuts and enjoy it.

al. :D

I think Marin suffered from uber poor marketing over a long period - having said that, their stated aim was the off-the-peg market when compared to all the custom bikes that dominated the niche market in the early/mid 80s.

Buckley teamed up with Joe Murray, who was working in a local bike shop, to start a bike company. Buckley had been working in the fashion industry but was inspired to change career after trying a mountain bike on his doctor's advice to help heal a nagging knee injury.

By 1986 the writing must have been on the wall about the global explosion and maybe Marin would have seemed a little late to the first party? I vaguely remember early ads with him (apparently) perched on the edge of a cliff proclaiming that he's was commuting to work... I'm sure I'll be corrected, but wasn't he not especially favoured by the Marin establishment? I'd guess that by using 'their' homelands with the naming or trails after bikes probably rankled or maybe he 'stole' Murray from his Fisher contract?

http://read.dmtmag.com/issue/34176/13

Coincidentally, the firm has just been sold/acquired on Friday by new European owners - suspect Bob has just cashed in his chips!

I'm a fan of certain models from 88-91 and virtually all of their Ti hardtails, but fell out of love with the brand as a whole when the neon/Zolatone collision bikes came through. The monocoque frame still turns my head though...

Back