No love for Marin?

My first contact with Marin was seeing the entire 1991 range in John's Bikes in Bath - I was pretty impressed, but still ended up buying a Kona. Somehow, Kona just had more "thing" about them - they looked so purposeful. A couple of years later, a friend bought a '92 Eldridge Grade. I was amazed by that! About £650(?), for a great riding frame and a DX/XT mix - why spend more, I thought. I like old Marins and have a lot of respect for the way they're made and the value they offered. To this day, the only Marin I've ever owned is this one............

BIKES014.jpg

It was pulled from a skip in Bristol in 2000 as a frame, fork and crankset - frame number removed, so must have been stolen at some point. It's been built up with rubbish and served as a hack bike ever since and i love it for it's ride quality and it's sheer crap appeal. :LOL:

Synthesis":2br61oam said:
There ought to be scores and scores of ´em here in Denmark, since they was sold from a chain of stores, that also sold Hifi. I can keep a lookout for ´em if there is interest.

As LGF put it "Early Marins are like Ford Cortinas and Sierras. Everywhere at once then the next minute, they all vanish with just the odd wreck/ minter appearing in the classifieds."

Which sums up the situation in Copenhagen in a nutshell. When I moved here in 94 every MTB you saw on the street was a Univega or a Marin. Compared to everywhere else in Europe though I suspect that most of them got ridden into the ground as commuter bikes until the real heyday of what the Danes call the "city bike".

So I suspect most of them have been recycled as scrap metal by now. Even having been employed in several Copenhagen bike shops since between then and 2007, I only ever saw the occasional Marin after about 98/9.

dbmtb":1fevcgkh said:
Synthesis":1fevcgkh said:
There ought to be scores and scores of ´em here in Denmark, since they was sold from a chain of stores, that also sold Hifi. I can keep a lookout for ´em if there is interest.

As LGF put it "Early Marins are like Ford Cortinas and Sierras. Everywhere at once then the next minute, they all vanish with just the odd wreck/ minter appearing in the classifieds."

Which sums up the situation in Copenhagen in a nutshell. When I moved here in 94 every MTB you saw on the street was a Univega or a Marin. Compared to everywhere else in Europe though I suspect that most of them got ridden into the ground as commuter bikes until the real heyday of what the Danes call the "city bike".

So I suspect most of them have been recycled as scrap metal by now. Even having been employed in several Copenhagen bike shops since between then and 2007, I only ever saw the occasional Marin after about 98/9.

I can second that; very few nice old MTBs in CPH. Innsbruck however...

Since bagging a small proflex 857 last year the my Nailtrail hasn't left the garage but today it called to me and out for what was supposed to be a quick 8 miler.
2 hours and 14 miles later I reluctantly went home and am now seriously thinking of selling the proflex.

Nothing rides like it. I'm tempted to try a marin bouncer now.

i started out on a 92 muirwoods, ive alway been on the look out for an old frame to build up but can never seem to find one in 18" were they only sold in 19" or was that the only size that survived?

This is my newly acquired 1995 Team Titanium, mainly purchased as I always wanted a Ti bike BITD. I never owned a Marin before but always liked the Zolatone bikes.

76b1a7a6.jpg

62d99e36.jpg

It's had a disk brake mount welded on the back at some point so with that in mind the plan is to build it up as a restromod with 1x10, disk brakes and most likely a rigid fork too. Might paint the forks and stem in a violent-as-possible fluro colour as a hat tip to the Zolatone bikes :D but I need to finish my Orange Elite and about 1000 other non-bike projects first though.

Back