Newbie with a stuck seatpost

Muppetman you've got problems but I think your still in with a chance.
Yes I do try to saw all the way to the bottom of the seat tube then crush the post to free it from the frame, I guess I've always been lucky and not had a post stuck flush with the top off the frame.
As a standard hacksaw blade is 300mm long you will have trouble reaching full length. A possible solution would be to get a length of bandsaw blade and mount it between two strips of sheet metal. I mount the blade so it cuts on the back pull, I've found this way easier to control the cut.
The method I've shown takes me about 1 hour made slightly easier on steel frames as you can hear the difference if you cut too far in with the blade.
My suggestion for your problem would be to try another cut at 180 degrees to the first and try to knock the post inwards on both sides, if you can't get right to the bottom a least your reducing the surface area that is stuck and stand more chance of freeing it. Aluminium tends to peel if so if you start it going you might be lucky.
Paraffin is used as a cutting fluid for aluminium to stop tools clogging and make it easier to work , its not something I have so I just use a squirt of Wd or freeing oil to keep the blade cutting freely.
I hope this helps.
Goodluck.
Don't rush.
And may the force be with you. ;)

In the past I've used plenty of penetrating oil and attached the seat post to a vice and twisted the frame itself as it offers better leverage. This worked well for me anyway.

Two bike mechanics (one about to be sacked - but thats not important right now), some penetrating oil, a vice and a 30 year stuck Campagnolo Record seatpost.

Worked a treat.

Kentphil":tknf8ryb said:
In the past I've used plenty of penetrating oil and attached the seat post to a vice and twisted the frame itself as it offers better leverage. This worked well for me anyway.

And me :D

@porkypaw - thanks for the advice - ill give that a go - everything else has failed.

To everyone else who suggested a vice and penetrating oil - that's always been my philosophy until now...but the post was stuck on my 89 Courier Comp all the way in. Spent about 2 weeks messing about with vice grips and 2 cans of plus gas on a daily basis before I found someone with a bench vice.

Got there, stuck it in the vice (which was a monster), wound it up tight as close as poss to the seat tube for maximum purchase and started twisting. Thought i felt it give a bit before ending up on the floor holding the frame with the clamp bit if the seat post still in the vice. Now I've got a post with nothing on the end of it stuck in the frame with about 1 cm protruding out of the seat tube. The top of the seat post is solid (where the clamp was), so next step is to drill that out (my cordless drill is useless so need to borrow one) and try LGF's method of the quill stem with more ammonia.

Then porkypaw's method if no luck. I know I could take it somewhere and get it reamed out, but this seat post has been my nemesis for months as I keep getting bored and relegating it to the depths of the cellar - so its either coming out by my fair hand, or it's not coming out at all!

I have tried the vice method and ended up spliting the seat tube where the rear stays join. :cry:
So I don't do that no more ....

Back