New "Vintage MTB" Website in U.S.

OBillyHill

Retro Newbie
So the U.S. has been dismally trailing in the retrobike world. They are either stuck in the "who started mountain bikes" argument or are only concerned with the latest greatest tech jewels of today.

I just found a new site, http://www.vintagemountainbiking.com. I happen to know a few of the photogs whose photos are being posted. They are mostly a 1980-1998 crowd, what they are calling the "glory days" of mountain biking.

Lots of hard tails, Rock Shox, and early early full suspension.

Just launched this past week. Curious to see what comes of it.

OBillyHill":32nvkxfs said:
So the U.S. has been dismally trailing in the retrobike world. They are either stuck in the "who started mountain bikes" argument or are only concerned with the latest greatest tech jewels of today.

I just found a new site, http://www.vintagemountainbiking.com. I happen to know a few of the photogs whose photos are being posted. They are mostly a 1980-1998 crowd, what they are calling the "glory days" of mountain biking.

looks like a serious effort... certainly looks the part

"They are either stuck in the "who started mountain bikes" argument or are only concerned with the latest greatest tech jewels of today" it's funny because it's true!
Cool website! Now I'm going to spend even less time working...

OBillyHill":drw32tac said:
...or are only concerned with the latest greatest tech jewels of today.
Here in Colorado we have the (what I call) "lifestylers." Mountain biking isn't just something we like to do for fun, "it's a lifestyle." "When we finish the race we can go drink some microbrews man." They all ride the same full suspension Specialized and Yeti's.

OBillyHill":1ao0u2t6 said:

You found the site? Or do you mean it's yours?
I don't think anyone will be unhappy for you to advertise your site on here! Just get on with it.

OBillyHill":3nvm19mb said:
So the U.S. has been dismally trailing in the retrobike world. They are either stuck in the "who started mountain bikes" argument or are only concerned with the latest greatest tech jewels of today......

Oops - you forgot wheel sizes. Americans are obsessed with 26" vs 27.5" vs 29" .... and spend much more time arguing about it than riding!!!

Disclaimer - I have a broken leg, I'm not working, there - that's my excuse for spending time here and mtbr :mrgreen:

Re:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on that.

I'm in the states. The vintage scene in the USA was effectively killed before it started. MTBR's VRC forum alienated so many people in the last 10 years-sadly it was usually the first (and last) place on the internet anyone with an older MTB visited. People with a casual interest were chased away before it could build into a serious movement. How do you expect younger generations to understand why these bikes are so awesome/important if they are not welcomed into the fold? Same for people who had 'average' bikes. You can't create the desire for an old Ritchey when you abuse someone for liking a Ross/Cannondale/whatever. It never built into a real movement like vintage BMX, which still seems pretty strong, even though the demographic has aged.

I will never understand why people here who identify as 'cycling enthusiasts' (be it road or mtb) are such anal-retentive, prickly, self-important douchebags. The bikes are cool. The people.....not so much.

Re: Re:

shogun700":1cc4u2bt said:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on that.

I'm in the states. The vintage scene in the USA was effectively killed before it started. MTBR's VRC forum alienated so many people in the last 10 years-sadly it was usually the first (and last) place on the internet anyone with an older MTB visited. People with a casual interest were chased away before it could build into a serious movement. How do you expect younger generations to understand why these bikes are so awesome/important if they are not welcomed into the fold? Same for people who had 'average' bikes. You can't create the desire for an old Ritchey when you abuse someone for liking a Ross/Cannondale/whatever. It never built into a real movement like vintage BMX, which still seems pretty strong, even though the demographic has aged.

I will never understand why people here who identify as 'cycling enthusiasts' (be it road or mtb) are such anal-retentive, prickly, self-important douchebags. The bikes are cool. The people.....not so much.

There is quite a strong US following on FB, lots of love for the uber rare early West Coast bikes. They only change hands rarely amongst the hardcore privately, so little chance of us getting hold of one :(

Shogun700 is right. I was thinking about joining the mtbr forum, but then, while reading through the posts, the elitist attitude turned me off. God forbid you have the wrong cable ferrules on your build = instant grilling. Retrobike is a lot bigger, there's more people doing whatever they personally like builds instead of slavish catalog builds. Not that there's anything wrong with a catalog build, honestly as I get deeper into the whole retro thing I grow to appreciate more period-correct builds. That doesn't make my earlier retromod builds any lesser though, they still ride great.

Back