New to me Wagon wheeled SS

gbmoto

Retro Guru
In my other threads I have bored people with my conversion to 29ers with a Clockwork plus my longterm affair with a Pipedream SS.

Well I really like 29ers now and a Gary Fisher Rig frame came up at a good price, so sorry Pipedream, i need your bits :-(

The frame was a bit scruffy but polished up ok and the EBB had been well maintained thankfully.

Needed wheels for not much money and got a pair of Deore hubs with Mach1 (hmmm) rims off ebay at a decent price, plus tyres from the LBS, extremely cheap and with "interesting" labels!!.

I always go tubeless now but Stan's kits are a bit costy and wanted to go ghetto, so a roll of Gorilla tape in a helpfull 25mm width plus a couple of tubeless valves........I was sceptical.......but they aired up first time!!

I have always had good results with Specialized tyres but this was amazing, easiest tubeless swop ever, and the cheapest.

Anyway the Pipedream provided the rest of the kit except a bigger rear sprocket to get the gearing back and a half link to get the cranks between 1 and 3 o'clock to help the EBB (apparently, never had one before)

A slightly shorter stem got the reach to the same as the 26er and the Pipedream forks even work well after a respray.

Only been for a round the block plus some figures of eight to get everything seated nicely and it feels very good, will update after it's first proper ride.

fisher_10547_zpse4faaef8.jpg
[/URL]

Re:

Well, been on a couple of rides now, last one with a few out of the saddle climbs and all is very good, just a tweak of the grips to lower the bar endy bit, very untrendy I know but old wrists and rigid forks :)

Wheels and tyres work superbly, although the weather and ground conditions are pretty unusual at the moment, may be a bit skiddy when the mud comes.

Went up 2 teeth on the rear from what I would use on a 26er but it maybe feels a little low, or is it the 29er wheels and fast tyres?? I'll leave it for the time being, but it really rolls ridiculously well!

Frame: Gary Fisher Rig 2007
Size medium

Fork: Pipedream Rigid Cro-Mo

Headset: Chris King with Hope top cap
Stem: Easton Havoc 65mm
Handlebar: Amoeba (!)
Grips: Ergo
Barends: Ergo

Brakes: Hope Mini with 145mm rear and 185mm front disks

Cassette: Gusset 19t
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Deore LX
Chainring: Blackspire 32t
Chainring bolts: Silver ones
Bottom Bracket: Half Deore, Half Hope :roll:
Pedals: Ritchey

Hub Skewers: Allen
Rims: Mach1
Hubs: Deore
Tyres: Specialized Fast Track Prototypes
Tubes: Gorilla Tape

Saddle: Ti railed WTB ( favorite )
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: 2.99 from Ebay and very nice it is too!

I like that. :cool:

I run 33:19 at the moment on my 29er. Was 33:17 and got on fine with that but the lower gear is better overall I think. YMMV

Re:

Thanks for the comments all.

I know what you mean about WTB saddles, they don't look great, especially this one........it has done a lot of miles.

But they seem to fit me and I have them on all three of my regular bikes now.

Back