New project Klein Attitude 1991, needs advice on parts

Well you can certianly understand the need for the questions

I have in my mind a sneaking suspicion that you may have to drill the receptor holes slightly to take the slightly larger hoses of the maguras..of course someone who has fitted maguras to a klein with internal routing would be able to confirm?

if that is the case and given your making this new paint fresh...i personally would accept that maguras will require the rear brake hose to be external rather than damage the frame to accomodate

Have you asked Martin if he has had such an issue for a customer before and any suggestions he may have?

Thanks for all of the comments gents, yes I know its going against the grain regarding the build, Its something that will be very personal to me in choice and build.

I know some peoples ideas of a retro bike is something that is true to model, and essentially using everything that would be stock on the bike, but mine is something that is old, thats made to look as cool as Fu!!, and that brings a smile to your face everytime you lokk at it and ride it.

Cabling issue.

I see only two options regarding the cabling issues I will face with Maguras.

1- Exterior cabling with a close matching colour to the frame.
2- make the holes slightly bigger to accomodate the hosing.

Whats everyones issues with spinergys?

I was toying with the idea of painting them in a linear fade as well, they are nice and chunky so imagine they would look pretty cool if painted, i need to check with Martin.

I will having a long conversation over email with Martin regarding all of the issues I think we will face, but my personal feeling regarding the theme of this build is a retro meets new age technology, retro being the frame, forks, wheels and brakes, with the rest of the groupset being XTR M970.

The way i see it, I would then be able to take apart road bikes which would be quite amusing when they are in their lycra out fits on a race that goes past my house regulary, I can just imagine their faces.

I used to be able to hit 24mph on a flat with my old one quite easily so hoping to be faster with this bike.

And yes to the slicks, I wouldn't want to take this bike into the woods, thats what the rest of the collection is for.

Thanks again guys.

aalinia6":1gcle9me said:
I would then be able to take apart road bikes which would be quite amusing when they are in their lycra out fits on a race that goes past my house regulary, I can just imagine their faces.

Good luck with that.

As you can see from my bikes, I road ride aswell with extremely fast bikes, so I'm looking forward to trialling the Klein when its ready.

I'll be sure and document if it happens for real and not only in my dreams so don't worry.

Sounds like an interesting project that will have you scratching your head a few times. Once finished, hopefully you will be riding it :D Good luck, can't wait to see the pics.

aalinia6":1qb6klqw said:
As you can see from my bikes, I road ride aswell with extremely fast bikes, so I'm looking forward to trialling the Klein when its ready.

I'd have thought your road experience would tell you that 24mph on the flat isn't going to "take apart" a race peloton ;) Look forward to seeing the bike, sounds fun however fast it is...

(PS your wheels are Spin, not Spinergy. Kind of similar, but different...)

I stand corrected, they are spin wheels not spinergy's, probably why I couldn't find any for sale originally as I was searching for Spinergy, doouughh.

Regarding speed at 24mph, that was when I was 14 years old, I would expect to be a hell of alot faster at 30 ( lets hope anyway, otherwise I will be quite embarrassed)

I am going to see if i can find some pictures that will give an idea of how the bike will look with the wheels and post it, catch you later.

Painting wheels is a bad idea. It will compete with the frame. You want the oposite. same with cables.. You want them to dissapear so the eye can focus on beautiful lines of the frame :)

As much as it pains me I think that I have to go with some XTR brakes as i cannot bring myself to get the frame drilled and risk ruining it, and do not want an ugly cable running across the frame.

I have also decided not to paint the wheels.

Thank you all for your comments though gentleman.

Happy riding.

aalinia6":11se0jkk said:
As much as it pains me I think that I have to go with some XTR brakes as i cannot bring myself to get the frame drilled and risk ruining it, and do not want an ugly cable running across the frame.

I have also decided not to paint the wheels.

Thank you all for your comments though gentleman.

Happy riding.
I think these are sensible ideas. Mind you, with regards to modernising, I have a 97/98 Saracen that I built with entirely modern gear. Some love modernised, some hate it, I couldnt give a monkeys - I love it and thats what counts.

look forward to seeing some pics, I like reading the Etoe threads for the painting, I find them very interesting.

Back