New project - Joe Murray Lavadome 1991(?)

scott mcavennie

Dirt Disciple
Picked this up tonight. Saw it on Ebay at the weekend and thought it looked in a sorry state. Got it for £47, which was definitely the upper end of what I wanted to pay for it. Should be a nice project though...

IMG-20200310-212522-103.jpg

Think it's a 91 version but not 100% sure.

Good price, the forks and stem are worth that.

Look forward to seeing it in use again.

Thanks guys. I'm very pleased with it. Need to find a local powder coater.

Jonthefish - thanks for the link (nice explosif by the way). Shane those links to the specs don't work anymore.

scott mcavennie":2pfx0n0n said:
Thanks guys. I'm very pleased with it. Need to find a local powder coater.

Jonthefish - thanks for the link (nice explosif by the way). Shane those links to the specs don't work anymore.

If you want specs then this site has a wealth of information, just have to dig and search a bit. Here are the Kona catalogues, should be a help for now; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

How bad is the paint? Hard to tell from the pic. The logos look pretty complete and way better than my Explosif. Does it really need repainted? Bit of t-cut and polish can work wonders and the black should be relatively easy to touch in. I confess to being a fan of keeping the original paint - scars and all - but it's your bike and there's plenty that won't agree.....
Stick up some more pics : )

Yeah, I need to take a look in the daylight to be sure on the paintwork.

Hard to tell the year as it seems to have a 300lx rear mech on it, when it should have been 500lx for 91 or 92. I'll take a proper look and get some pics on Saturday.

Old school grand master - thanks for the links. Very helpful.

Re:

Look forward to seeing this one built...

Im building a 91/2 lava dome (thread also on here) but am a bit suck with seatpost size.

I thought it was a 26.4 but a new one of this size seems a little tight.
I’m now wondering if the one I’m basing it on (that cane with my frame) was aftermarket and too big.

Wonder if you can help by letting me know what size yours is as tubing will be same diameter I recon?

Cheers
Andy

Hmm, I'd need to get some calipers to tell properly, but I reckon 26.4. Definitely shouldn't be narrower than that. Have you tried cleaning the inside of the seat tube?

Back