New Project '59 Experto Crede

It's all so...well complicated and simple at the same time.

Seems to me any chain of right length will work.

But

Getting it work to its optimum efficiency, longevity and run quietly as a result - do have to pick the right matches.
They ain't too expensive, but does add up.

Off a frame GIGFY -roughly what we talking to get all the bits and drivetrain together?
Suppose it's a bit like how long a bit of string, but ball park say...?

It's all so...well complicated and simple at the same time.

Seems to me any chain of right length will work.

But

Getting it work to its optimum efficiency, longevity and run quietly as a result - do have to pick the right matches.
They ain't too expensive, but does add up.

Off a frame GIGFY -roughly what we talking to get all the bits and drivetrain together?
Suppose it's a bit like how long a bit of string, but ball park say...?
So long as it goes through your mech and engages fully on your sprockets you should be fine. Shimano say big on big not through the mech + 2 links for length. The jockey wheel centres usually end up at a right angle to the floor when in top gear/outer ring if you follow this. This has served me well. Some people insist small on small I personally don't agree.

Last edited:
If you're going down the ergo route you may as well have "modern" Shimano mechs. Paint stripper the paint/finish off. I did that on a 600 mech I wanted polished. LX would work so would most early 90s Shimano.

Yup -Hetchins RETROBIKE . . .well, moder running gear just works doesn't it?
At the 100 mile marker don't want to be nursing the bike home on worn out bits squealing away...
Bikes evolve as parts wear out. You can do what you like its your bike, anyone objects they can shut the door on the way out. Aero brake hoods are way more comfy, indexed gears are just better, dual pivots stop.

Also -Wheels that came with it could do with an upgrade down the line...Pretty heavy -mixture of lead alloy rims and cast iron chromed hubs, there again I'm comparing them to wheels on my other bikes -have some deep rim Carbons on an Oppy C7 weight= nada, not going to get that, but lighter would be good.

-or just light strong rims, and happy to lace myself, as do all my bike/motorcycle wheels...

That'll be down the line a few paychecks tho.

Back