New Project '59 Experto Crede

Jez Nemeth

Retro Guru
Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 17.59.12.png
Newbie Post! Was looking for a steel Vintage tourer -Picked this up on Fleabay last month cheap. Would have left the patina as was, just replacing out some of the modern bits for 50's parts...but when it arrived there were two surprises.

The paint had been scraped off the curb side mechanically down to the shiny stuff and pretty much unrecoverable :(

On the + side, once stripped, the frame is in the best condition of any vintage bike I've owned -straight, totally rust and dent free...and turns out I'm the second owner too :)...This one is a keeper!

Have a few issues/problems to consider in making it ultimately usable for long term touring/Audax, adding subtle modernisations???

Thx for the welcome!
Mine too! Been after a good one for years -never thought I'd find one in this condition. Had a good few Hetchins, some rare - most not, last EX was a little bent, never trusted it. 1/2 measure too big for me -thought I'd grow into it (never too old to make stupid decisions).

So this one, right size, straight and dentless, full number matcher...but clearly used and kept going by last owner supplementing cheap Shimano parts as stuff ran out..Few bit think original -Maes + GB stem/brakes still there, Brooks, post, ...so good starting point mefinks...

According to the Hetchins register 5th June, 1959 officially born...and found out from the editor Len Ingram passed away !! Font of knowledge on the mark, modest, and true gentleman. Hillary, Len who next?

Keeping the original paint pattern, measured the panels and transfer before stripping. Want to keep it semi-original, has friction shifter lugs on downtube, could well have been there from factory -so assuming original paint scheme.

Keeping originality with a twist, there will be some new parts of course so kindof evolving as a 'conversation' with the bike. 2k Primed, sprayed gold, then ...tried a Chestnut Kandy tint, no metralflake! Added 5% VW black (what I had on the shelf), threw 8 layers on it, then 7 layers of 2K Gloss lacquer.

What's come out is interesting -any low/shaddow/cloudy light looks vintage black, what was wanted...but, put the sun on it and it's got a rich Tan/Mahogany, deep in the paint. It's better than I thought. I've become a total convert to custom Kandy Colours...

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpeg
    IMG_1965.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Panels -good ol' 2K Custard Cream as original...Right, Cranks, Went for TA Specialites from 1960 rather than a 49D set up...bloody expensive, they are now, nice though :(.

Anyway with 5 spd on the rear, wanted 3 on the front for a Vintage tourer. Shimano 300 BB (J rather than ISo -alignment works), original UN 51 was jammed in there, took 2 hours to cut it out without harming any threads surprisingly with Mr Dremmel *&%*$%!

Campy gen 1 Front deraillier seems to make the three chain width reach..Know what Assume does (makes and Ass of U and Me ) we'll see :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image[23].jpg
    image[23].jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 25
  • image[78].jpg
    image[78].jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 26
It's certainly one step up from the old suicide lever on the last EX ! Simplex JUY front and rear (tour du Monde rear was really nice though). All I had in the bits box was that matchbox, it's 50's, but function may be a better choice. After 60 miles of up and down Welsh mountains in mid summer, what would ya want on there? A warm smug feeling because we got the right dated parts on the bike might be pretty low on the list at that point.

Rear though, I'd like a Huret/Simplex again, just love those pushy springs...unfortunately have a bucket of these things... 1st/2nd Gen Records -some actually work!!! Wonders never cease...most are fecked though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 14
It's certainly one step up from the old suicide lever on the last EX ! Simplex JUY front and rear (tour du Monde rear was really nice though). All I had in the bits box was that matchbox, it's 50's, but function may be a better choice. After 60 miles of up and down Welsh mountains in mid summer, what would ya want on there? A warm smug feeling because we got the right dated parts on the bike might be pretty low on the list at that point.

Rear though, I'd like a Huret/Simplex again, just love those pushy springs...unfortunately have a bucket of these things... 1st/2nd Gen Records -some actually work!!! Wonders never cease...most are fecked though
Think you got it covered 😁😁

Back