New laptop time...

FluffyChicken":aokb9dm9 said:
Also what Dell do you currently have.

I've got an XPS M1530
Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1ghz
4gb Ram
Nvidia 8600gt card
Windows 7 64 bit

It's the card thats concerning me - just had to do the hairdryer trick again to get the fecker to boot, can't see it being a lasting solution! Do decent computer shops have the ability to reflow these reliably or is it a make do and mend bodge it fix?

Do know on the reflowing part, not my speciality and never used any. Best ask them and get a guarantee on the work. But you at least know your internals :)

but if you do get something new the parts can be sold or karma'd

So you are after a desktop replacement then, not really a laptop.

3/4 years isn't too bad from a laptop/desktop replacement especially if you do move it around

I travel a lot with my job so there is office work being done on it but also Call Of Duty to try and keep me out of the pub in the evenings!

I work on computers all day long and a Mac is the very best if you can afford it, best budget buy is 100% ACER.

OK, I've 20 years in IT support and solutions architecture and would say that HP used to be good but now are just average (although the servers are still great) and no better than Acer. Sony and Asus are well built consumer laptops but Sony are expensive to buy and ruinous to repair and the support from Asus is OK at best.
I have first hand experience of HP, Compaq, HP Compaq, IBM, Lenovo, Dell, Sony, Asus, Acer, Packard Bell, Panasonic, Fujitsu and Medion (which surprisingly isn't bad for a supermarket special).
If you want something for work that is a serious machine with a decent warranty and backup you have two choices first is Dell, which we still use as a company for some our clients, my personal machine is a 4 year old Inspiron 1520 which shares motherboard with your dying XPS (I nearly went for the XPS but couldn't justify the extra £100 for a slot loading CD drive and fingerprint reader). It's on it's second hard disk but these die and battery but again these are consumables as well. Before it I had a latitude D600 that still runs and my nephew has it. I also have two working examples of old Inspirons handed down from my father in law. Would I still buy Dell? for home use yes, it's a no brainer they are good value, built well and specced for the money.
Secondly and more importantly for business, given the choice, there is actually only one brand of laptop for business and that's the Lenovo Thinkpad T Series (forget the Macbook these things will still be going when the Macbook is skip fodder), they are designed to last with little business and portability features that other don't have (LED keyboard light, one handed locking latch mechanism, Magnesium alloy casings, CNC Alloy screen hinges, Gyroscopic hard disk protection), but they aren't cheap. Look at any serious IT organisation (who aren't tied to their own brands) and they'll be using Thinkpads.

Carl.

^ what he said. Another vote for thinkpad here. Something like a T410 or T420 would fit your bill nicely. Just retired my 5 year old T61 which has been on 12 hours most days and not treated terribly well and replaced it with a T400.

rosstheboss":224jdrax said:
FluffyChicken":224jdrax said:

I've got an XPS M1530
Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1ghz
4gb Ram
Nvidia 8600gt card
Windows 7 64 bit

It's the card thats concerning me - just had to do the hairdryer trick again to get the fecker to boot, can't see it being a lasting solution! Do decent computer shops have the ability to reflow these reliably or is it a make do and mend bodge it fix?
there is a guy on ebay who deals with the xps gt problem///very ceap from what i recall..my other laptop is a dell xps and i love what it can un

runs cod on full wallop no problems...

as for a good laptop...easy
the ibms are the best..built for heavy day to day use...built like a tank and simple to sort...

typed on my x32 ibm...12 inch screen ...

gibbleking":30z4jre0 said:
rosstheboss":30z4jre0 said:
FluffyChicken":30z4jre0 said:

I've got an XPS M1530
Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1ghz
4gb Ram
Nvidia 8600gt card
Windows 7 64 bit

there is a guy on ebay who deals with the xps gt problem///very ceap from what i recall..my other laptop is a dell xps and i love what it can un

runs cod on full wallop no problems...

as for a good laptop...easy
the ibms are the best..built for heavy day to day use...built like a tank and simple to sort...

typed on my x32 ibm...12 inch screen ...

Is there? I may ask the father in law what the symptoms of the failure of his were and get it repaired for my eldest if it can be repaired easily.

Carl.

Back