New fork for '96 Kona Kilauea (SID SL or Z2 BAM?)

Konanthebarbarian

Dirt Disciple
Requesting advice from the retro gurus!

Got an 18" 1996 Kona Kilauea, and I’m thinking of giving it some front suspension. No beef with P2s, but I reluctantly admit that they’re slowing me down on the downhill.

So it’s between the light grey Rock Shox SID SL (circa 2002) and red Marzocchi Z2 BAM (1999, I believe). Both seem like decent forks (for my price range). Note that the SID has 100mm travel at the moment, while the Z2 BAM is 80mm.

Specs clearly point to the SID SL being substantially lighter. They also have lockout. I’ve only ridden the SID (and liked it a lot – I’m a pretty lightweight rider). Maybe it’s just that the cherry red paint job of the Z2 keeps calling my name? It could look like the Red/Blue '98 Explosif!

Has anybody ridden the Z2? What are your thoughts?

(Pic is just for inspiration - I've fixed MANY issues since it was taken)

Attachments

• rsz_20140903_195527.jpg
    rsz_20140903_195527.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 884
a 2002 SID SL wont be 100mm, they were 80/60mm

either would be a good fork on that frame (I had a 1996 Kilauea and I actually had a bomber Z2 on it for a bit)

I run a 1994 Lava Dome (which I believe has identical geometry to your Kilauea) with a Z2 and the handling is really superb. The Z2 is easy to service and has great parts availability.

Right you are cce... I think it is indeed 80mm. Funny that it somehow looks longer. I guess ~80mm is right for the geometry, anyway.

Thanks, guys. As you say, I probably won't go wrong with either.

i have a pair of 2001 SIDs and you can change between 60 and 80mm travel by removing a spacer from the negative air piston - no spacer = 80mm, spacer = 60mm

Back