Navigation in the Modern World

I've given this thread a bit more thought. So, pull up a sandbag. Since the age of 11 or 12 I have always used a map and compass, being it for walking or cycling. IMHO there is nothing more enlightening than a Landranger map. It tells you everything you could possibly want to know about the area you want to visit. You can also even post them on, or post them home when you have done with them on your tour. I even managed to ride End to End during the 90s without carrying a map. If I was lost, I would ask somebody if they knew the way to a certain point. Talking to people on route is one of the pleasures of cycle touring. During my times riding long Audax events, practicing origami in howling wind and rain at 2 in the morning, peering at the map with your head torch. This to me was always the real spirit of self reliance. So, after a 10 to 12 year hiatus, I rejoined AUK in about 2018. The rustle of route sheets had been mostly replaced by the pinging of garmins etc at the start of an event. Yes, I had a garmin, which I purchased in 2014, which was only of any use, in my opinion, when I was on a trail in a forest in Southern Germany where the trail split 5 ways [no signpost] since then it has become an expensive paperweight. Yes, sat navs have their place finding your way round a city, but for me a map and the joy of it can never be replaced by an electronic device. How I miss the gentle tick of a cyclometer, which has been replaced by the silence of a battery powered computer.

I've given this thread a bit more thought. So, pull up a sandbag. Since the age of 11 or 12 I have always used a map and compass, being it for walking or cycling. IMHO there is nothing more enlightening than a Landranger map. It tells you everything you could possibly want to know about the area you want to visit. You can also even post them on, or post them home when you have done with them on your tour. I even managed to ride End to End during the 90s without carrying a map. If I was lost, I would ask somebody if they knew the way to a certain point. Talking to people on route is one of the pleasures of cycle touring. During my times riding long Audax events, practicing origami in howling wind and rain at 2 in the morning, peering at the map with your head torch. This to me was always the real spirit of self reliance. So, after a 10 to 12 year hiatus, I rejoined AUK in about 2018. The rustle of routesheets had been mostly replaced by the pinging of garmins etc at the start of an event. Yes, I had a garmin, which I purchased in 2014, which was only of any use, in my opinion, when I was on a trail in a forest in Southern Germany where the trail split 5 ways [no signpost] since then it has become an expensive paperweight. Yes, satnavs have their place finding your way round a city, but for me a map and the joy of it can never be replaced by an electronic device. How I miss the gentle tick of a cyclometer, which has been replaced by the silence of a battery powered computer.
I'd love to say we should join the modern world, but there is nothing compared to a good map.

Back