Navigation in the Modern World

I think intuition can't be forgotten too.

We know how the sun rises and sets, and when in a forest moss is also most prevalent on the North side.

Years ago, and still have, is an ancient Garmin Etrex 30. It's a blessed thing and outdated (although it does use normal batteries so doesn't need a charge) but I know it will get me home / where I want to go eventually; but it really needs to be used with a good old map. I still think a map is best for overall route planning.

I just photocopy map sections normally and have them stuffed in the back pocket to protect the originals.

on proper long distance rides I don't trust the nav, so I'll build the map (The joys of cycling, you can use sneaky cycle paths and stuff) in something like mapmyride to go where I want, I'll then google the route and streetview it so I sort of know what to expect. on the bike I'll have a highish level detail map of the section of ride easy to hand (if I've got the bar bag on it sits in there, if I haven't its folded in an easy to reach pocket) I also have a turn by turn printed off with decent mile markers noted from the start and from the last point, assuming my cycle computer (That is a GPS) is correct I can ready reckon the next turn. this is backed up by the GPS bread crumb. the reason I have both the start mile and distance from the last point? because when you arrive at a road block, or take a wrong turn your start mileage is going to be wrong for ever more, but you can reset and do some maths on route and stay on course. if all else fails, my phone has google maps on and I can use it to get back to my known route.

it's fun, I've done it for years on 100+ rides, when I did LEJOG it was this way without the GPS, the TPT was easier but still the same.

I'm sure I could have a proper GPS head unit, but it's not as exciting.

Is there a phone GPS app that uses OS maps?
Yes. You can buy a subscription to osmaps for £25 a year and that lets you download maps/routes using the osmaps app. You can also download any maps you already own (as long as they have a digital/qr code) on them.

If you have an android phone then back country navigator is a great tool for gps routing which allows you to cache the osmap tiles used by bing maps.

I also use gpx.studio for plotting routes as I've found it to be the easiest way of editing gpx roures.

I use a combination of a Garmin headunit, komoot, osmaps and backcountry navigator depending.

Komoot is pretty good on finding new routed and the navigation (turn by turn) side but I prefer being able to see where I am on an osmap just in case.

Usually when I plan a route i load it into my Garmin and use backcountry navigator if I need to double check where I am (or to see where we interesting looking path might go).

Slightly baffled at the thought of yet another bit of equipment I've never needed yet marketing says is a must have when out about so I don't die of death.

What do I use? The horizon, local landmarks and the odd myopic squint at the phone, oh and signposts

Last edited:
Map covers are also a joy .some of the early ones are real works of 🎨
I have about 10 maps [land ranger] that cover my local area . The changes in the foot print of human activity can clearly be seen .Topography / cartography is hard to beat.
you'll love this then

Back