My Start of Autumn tour , pictures.Text added.

Re: My Start of Autumn tour .Pictures

More!

And words. Recount your epic tale. Lots of us read you know.

Re: My Start of Autumn tour .Pictures

Yes, very nice but we need words, tales of epic feats etc along with more of those lovely photos :)

Jamie

Re:

Day 1: Derby to Selby. Thurs 12th Sept 2019
Departed home at 8.30, with a good weather forecast. First part of the route is the sort you just have to grind it out for the first 30 miles on short steep climbs & long drags, travelling through the villages and small towns of Breadsall, Smalley, Heanor, Eastwood and Mansfield. The highest point on this section of the ride was near Annesley, which, at 609ft above sea level, in 1904 was claimed to be the highest point in Nottinghamshire. Since then, other hills in the county have taken claim this title , which are subject to debate by many Nottinghamshire folk .
I passed through Sherwood Forest, which included Clipstone where this picture of the winding wheel was taken.
Clipstone colliery pit head .Nottinghamshire by rebalrid, on Flickr
I then travelled through Worksop, the former home of Carlton Cycles. From Worksop the route started to level out, skirting Doncaster and picking up Cycle Route 62, the Trans Pennine Cycleway, following canals and level quiet roads.
Trans Pennine Trail by rebalrid, on Flickr
I reached Selby {Yorkshire} 3 short of the 100 miles at 17.00 hrs. Digs were pre booked at The Hazeldine, which I can recommend to any cyclist passing through Selby.
Selby Minster is pictured.
Selby Minster by rebalrid, on Flickr
Day 2 to follow.
Selby to Skipton on Swale .
Day 3
Skipton on Swale to Hawes.
Day 4
Hawes to Hambleton over Wyre { North of Blackpool}

Re:

Looks and sounds like a great ride out.
Look forward to seeing and reading more :)
Jamie

Re:

Day 2: Selby to Skipton-on-Swale
A short ride of 47 miles. After taking pictures of Selby Minster, I set off on a quiet B-road through the villages of Cawood & Ulleskelf. This road follows the river Wharfe for most of the way. On reaching Tadcaster, I noticed that it is full of cycling art from the Tour de France's visit to Yorkshire and subsequent Yorkshire Road Races. Sorry, but no pictures of these. Leaving Tadcaster, I travelled down the route of an old Roman road, through the villages of Cattal, Whixley and on to Aldborough and Boroughbridge. Note, a Roman town called 'Svrivm' was located here. I found Boroughbridge festooned for the forthcoming World Championship Road races. North Yorkshire has really taken cycling to its heart. An early lunch was had here before continuing on to Skipton-on-Swale. Another feature of this area of Yorkshire is the large number of former RAF stations, Linton-on-Ouse & Leeming still being active.
After an easy day I reached the holiday let the good lady and I were staying at. Low and behold, an hour later, the better half with dog in tow arrive. Then followed a week's holiday of walking and sightseeing with perfect weather to boot.
Zeus by rebalrid, on Flickr
Friday 20th - Day 3: Skipton-on-Swale to Hawes another short ride of about 45 miles .
The good lady & dog return home and I continue my tour. My route took me through the villages of Kirklington, Carthorpe, Snape
Snape Castle . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Snape is a lovely village with its remains of the castle, part of which has been rebuilt into something of a stately pile. One thing I found really nice was the local Church Hall was open to all offering self-service tea & biscuits for a donation. This is something I have never seen before in the UK. It really did raise one's spirit. From here I continued on to the town of Leyburn, through the lovely hamlets of Thornton, Watlass, Thornton Stewart, Ulshaw, and Spennithorne on undulating quiet roads. An early lunch was had at Leyburn.
Leyburn Yorkshire. by rebalrid, on Flickr
Again the town was decked out for the coming World Championship Road races. After a protracted lunch stop, I continued on into the Yorkshire Dales National Park proper, Castle Bolton being another tea-and-scone stop. :D
Castle Boulton .Yorkshire. by rebalrid, on Flickr
After refuelling I continued on quiet roads through Carpeby, Askrigg,
Yorkshire Dales.NP. by rebalrid, on Flickr
and finally to Hawes.

Yarn bombing in Hawes.
Yarn Box .Hawes. by rebalrid, on Flickr
B&B was had here, which was run by an Australian gentleman by the name of Wayne Webster & his partner. Wayne is a real character.
http://www.wensleydalehouse.co.uk/
I can highly recommend this B&B with safe cycle storage being no problem. In the evening I dined out at the local chippy, with a 10oz cumberland sausage & chips.
Day 4: To follow. (Hawes to Hambleton-over-Wyre, with breath-taking scenery.)

Love this Bagpuss. Great photos. Wensleydale looks awesome - that's the first time I've seen Castle Bolton in nice weather!

Back