My oddest question yet to Klein owners.................

My MC2 attitude came with LX cranks and a 106mm axle, which according to the technical data is correct.

I'll swap if you want for your 113mm.

yep, avatar being changed, different piccy time I think! Swapping out axle is beyondme I'm afraid, so it's time to find new cranks to suit! This leaves me with 2 questions- my bb axle appears to sit out 2 or 3 mm on drive side more than off side, why? Secondly, if I find a set of standard drive m900, will a front mech designed for compact drive work ok?

Many thanks Guys!

BB

Just been through this also. There is a useful table on the site if you search for it which shows all the correct widths for different cranks.

Your local bike shop should have no problem knocking out the existing axle and preserving the bearings. They will also press in the new axle and set the correct offset with the crank. The bearings offset can vary slightly to allow the correct clearance of the large ring to the frame.

I used M730 with a 110 axle. XTR M900 would be wider, I think 125 from memory. I took out a ridiculous 135.

Cheers

Thanks guys, this is making me a little more confident- however taking it to a LBS in Northern Ireland is a bit risky, most I have spoke to have no idea, or simply no interest in what I am talking about. Is it possible to simply tap the axle trought a couple of mm to tidy up the chainline, or is this risky- I need to be careful obviously, as I don't want the bearings to move. I think I've come across this being done.......... however current lack of peaceful sleep is making everything a bit muddled!
BTW Martin, if you could PM tha Manual I will owe you big time!

her's a pic of crank spacing as it stands at the moment- oes it look excessive to you guys?

Cheers Craig

Attachments

• chainline.JPG
    chainline.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 317
Yep. Thought so. Any ideas at this stage greatly appreciated, This is really starting to sour the experience of getting my "Unicorn". Is there another set of cranks I can use for example? I need this complete by the tenth of next month for my holiday, it's beginning to look like the Kona may be pressed into action.

Cheers Guys, as ever!

Widths

Yes sorry ignore the widths I put in I totally got it backwards. The point was made however. Bear in mind a decent LBS is dealing with press in bearings regularly with new bottom bracket and headset standards.

They might not understand your explanation but if they eyeball the job I am sure they have the skills and equipment.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back