My new Commencial Premier DISC, have I made a booboo?

dubstar74

Dirt Disciple
Been outta the riding game for about 10 years now, but really had a hankering to get back into it of late.

Bikes I've previously owned (and not including various oldskool BMX), my 1st proper MB was a 92 Kona Lava Dome in Purple! which I absolutely fell in love with, I've actually got a pic of me on it somewhere? I upgraded it to full XTR groupset and various bits n pieces, owned it for years!, next was a 94 Univega dont remember the model now but it was Dark Green with STX drivetrain, did'nt have that long, I did have a fling with a 93 Specialized Stumpjumper which was good but I sold that to fund my dream bike a 98 GT Zaskar with ball burnished frame, this had Marchozzchi Bombers and had LX/XT drive, hope hubs and loads of other trick bits, best bike I've owned and wish I still had it :cry: I owned that for 3 years.

Fast forward to March 2011 and I'm now 36, was on the lookout for a decent bike at around the £650 mark, my Bro owns a 2005 Commencal Meta 5.5 never heard of Commencal before but I've had few blasts on it and loved it, so when it came to choosing my next hardtail bike I had Commencal in mind.

Having picked up the bike and ridden on it for the last month or so I feel I might of made an error in my selection? more to do with the spec of the bike than anything else eg: Suntour XCM forks!

I did look at a Kona of the same price range which had better spec Rockshox's, but I did'nt like the colour of, which I'm now kicking myself for :roll:
Unfortuantely for me, what with being outta the game for so long I did'nt really have clue on what to look out for, although I done some research I now think I may have made an error in judgement?

What do you guys think? I want to know what are your thoughts on Commencal's? and whether I should of chose another make/model? Or do you think with an upgrade the bike will be fine?
all comments and thoughts welcome!

My bike...
[/img]
P1080276.jpg

P1080275.jpg

P1080274.jpg

Commencal are a very good brand with a good recent race history.

At that price point you will always have to comprimise on the spec mainly the fork.

The frame are usually really good and are worth upgrading.

Its a nice bike for sure, the forks are Commencal branded and look the biz.
I had the same forks on my £300 Mongoose that got me back in cycling and I never had a jot of problem with them.

I'd say ride it until you kill the forks or your skills better what the forks offer and then upgrade.

The new raft of Suntour forks seem to get good reviews but as always lack the kudos of the established names. FWIW I reckon todays bikes all perform quite well and spec is less important that it was (if indeed it was). Bikes now are more defined in their purpose and whilst many lament the ever increasing groups and subgroups it should help you decide on the right bike for you :) Keep in mind that the bikes you had before far exceed this one in price point, stumpys and zaskars will set you back a couple of grand these days!

I had the same forks on my 2008 Avalanche - used and abused for about a year and half, including a filthy winter of riding, with just an occasional hose-down. Possibly a bit sticky towards the end, but still usable - Decent fork.

Right now they're sitting in a corner unused, simply because the Avalanche has been stripped, but I will have no hesitation putting them back on when I build it back up again.

Only drawback would seem to be the name (peel the stickers off - bosh, sorted stealth forks), and the fact that it doesn't seem to be all that easy to get aftermarket parts and service them yourself. As has been said, ride till they break then replace.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I think I'll just upgrade as some of you say when parts wear out naturally.

It does feel like a good bike but the forks make a little clonk noise whenever you pull the bike up a pavement, which was my only niggle I suppose.

The one thing I do like is the remote lockout on the forks ...very handy ;)

Back