my logic with cable disc brakes and why they don't work well on drop bar levers, am i right?

@benjabbi my point exactly, even if you get them working ok a couple of rides (if that) and they've gone off the boil! also they get worse as the get older.

i should also point out that i feel the same way about most of the cable brakes, not just the tektro/trp etc, i find shimano calipers just as sucky, the BB5 and BB7, i seemed to get a good set and a bad set, sometimes on the same bike!

@benjabbi my point exactly, even if you get them working ok a couple of rides (if that) and they've gone off the boil! also they get worse as the get older.

i should also point out that i feel the same way about most of the cable brakes, not just the tektro/trp etc, i find shimano calipers just as sucky, the BB5 and BB7, i seemed to get a good set and a bad set, sometimes on the same bike!
I agree and on flat bar bikes there's no excuse. When a set of Clarkes M1 with rotors and adapters retails for around £60 at OEM they must be peanuts, OK not the best but beat mechanical hands down.
Bit trickier on drops what with integrated shifters but hopefully a good budget option will come, we're 20 years behind compared to flat bar levers though, maybe the rumoured impending Cues drop levers will be a step in the right direction?

If the cable pull is the issue then a Problem Solvers travel agent or similar would work - a quick search and it does look like they've made ones specifically for road cable pull disc brakes: https://bikerecyclery.com/problem-solvers-travel-agent-inline-version-for-disc-brakes-silver-new/ I wonder if they make a difference.

I've used the Juin tech hydraulic cable pull disc brakes with road levers and they are pretty good for feel (not squishy) using compressionless housing. A lot better than full cable disc brakes although noticeably less effective than full hydraulic.

@Fatal Swan i had seen the problem solvers before, back in the day for using a canti brake with a v brake, i hadn't seen that option though, i wonder if there is a better way of mounting it as obvs a modern disc frame will not have the canti stud to mount it to, might be worth a look though, more out of curiosity that it will improve the feel

The cable can make a big difference to how a mechanical disc brake feels. I’ll bet 9 out of 10 bike manufacturers are cheaping out and speccing non compatible outers.

It’s been a while since I did drops and discs but Ive certainly used road bb7s and Tektro singlespeed drop bar levers together and didn’t have any problem getting them to feel just as good as the road callipers with canti flat bar levers or mtn callipers with v levers.

If I were to be building a secret full suss drop bar project it would be diacompe v specific road levers and cable brakes

If...

I have these mated to sora levers on my winter bike. still have a long lever at the moment because my discs need truing. otherwise, they stop you, they are self adjusting. I have compressionless housings and decent inner cables, but the rear is internal routing and I think the over all length of cable results in a bit to much "modulation". pad replacement is easy too. takes shimano pads. push the pistons back, insert new pads. done.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I’ve got Avid BB and Tiagra levers on my Orange RX9 and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the performance as my first set of cable disc brakes.

Previous Avid hydraulic disc brakes went in the bin pretty quickly, but while the BB’s are rudimentary they are pretty easy to fettle. They do need a bit of love but I’m pleased with them. So much so that my usual “upgrade it to Hope because it’s shiny” tactic has been shelved.

I really like Spyres, so much so i've just had cable disc brake specific frame made for me.

I like cable discs because i like to ride with cross top levers but i don't like the shape and action of shimano shifters (the only option for hydraulic cross tops apart from those converter gizmos), plus i like the simplicity and adjustability of cable discs.

The downside i have found is that the cross top lever contributes to making the brakes feel a little mushy. I have them set up without the top lever on my tourer and they feel really snappy.

Spyres do need a bit of periodic love to keep them feeling good. Annual clean and grease has kept these calipers going for about seven years.

I am not a lightweight and i do like riding fast. I have not found the Spyres wanting but i would say there is a difference in feel between cable and hydraulics. It bothers some people, but not me.
20231107_084204.jpg 20231107_084236.jpg 20231107_084255.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back