Mavic rims (217 front and 121 rear)
Ritchey Z-Max tires
Ritchey seatpost
Titec saddle
Control Tech 150mm stem
Truvativ riser bar
Ritchey Logic bar ends
Ritchey Logic cantilever brakes
Sugibo Mighty 900 crankset (replaced in 2006 for a Truvativ)
Shimano 737 pedals
Rock Shox Judy SL (with double Judy DH cartridges)
Kona Brake Levers

Hope you all like it!

800px-Bike_057.jpg

MORE PICS

1996 Rock Shox Judy SL
Deore XT hub
Mavic 217 rim
Ritchey Logic brakes

Do you remember Leigh Donovan???

Deore thumbshifters
Kona Race Light levers
Truvativ riser bar
Control Tech stem

Ritchey seatpost
Ritchey Logic brakes
Mavic 121 downhill rim
Sugino Mighty 900 crankset
Shimano 737 pedals
Specialized bottle cage

Easton Elan tubing

On the fly!!!

There’s an eerie silence about this bike. Which is odd because it’s a very nice bike. A very nice bike indeed. Except in one respect.

And unlike certain other websites, where people like nothing better than to tear into somebody’s pride and joy, RetroBike is a very nice community where people like saying nice things and don’t like to criticise. Especially a newcomer to the club, who should be made to feel entirely welcome, as indeed every newcomer is very welcome.

But in my personal opinion, there is one thing about this bike, just one, which is the mtb equivalent of spitting on the carpet whilst taking tea at the vicarage.

I quite like the bar ends and I suppose the riser bars are ok, although I prefer flats, but that’s just a personal opinion and well, errr, OK, well errr, I suppose I'd better say it. :oops: I don’t like bar ends on riser bars. :shock: That’s just my purely personal opinion. :?

Apart from that, it’s a really nice bike and welcome to RetroBike! :)

:LOL: Say it like it is Anthony :LOL: Of course you are right (for once ;) :D ).....risers and bar ends are a no-no, unless you do your weekly shopping on your bike :shock:

Nice bike mate...what you may want is a nice pair of flat Answer Hyperlite Silver bars....now, who could have some for sale :roll:
HB

Hi everyone!

I still have the OEM handlebar: the classic Bontrager/Titec 118 flat bar, made of titanium.

I switched for an aluminum bar because I found that the titanium handlebar was too flexy for me (I´m six foot six and weight about 310 pounds).

Anyway, I remember the first time I saw a MTB with a riser bar and bar ends, it was in the middle 90´s, in a Lizard Skins ad: an old GT RTS. I know it´s a little odd, but it works great for me.

I purchased this bike in the middle of 1995, at my local Kona dealer (Pedal Power bike shop, São Paulo, Brazil). Is was a full Deore XT bike, but it was improved year after year.

Few parts are still original: the Judy and Control Tech Stem came as a replacement since the bike was new (I simply didn´t like the Marzzochi XC 600 and the quill stem), the rear wheel was gone completely im 1996 and the "new" one is a Deore LX hub, with Mavic 121 rim and Ritchey double butted spokes (strong enough for my weight, never was out of true).

Last year, when I visited the local bike shop, I saw a smaller 1995 Kula, untouched, immaculate:

konas002yy1.jpg

konas001mr8.jpg

Pretty cool huh??? It seems that this bike was completely forgotten in someone´s garage.

Thanks for all!

Nice Bike! Well, I guess in a way, comfort does matter if you ride often and for long distances. My dad did the same thing to his poor DEAN Colonel :? but well, can't deny its superbly comfy :) welcome to the forum dude!

Back