Mudguards fitted

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
Do you think I have ruined my bike by putting mudguards on. I bought some chrome mudguards for a 700c wheel as winter is approaching and if hte road is wet, so would my b ack be. I had enough of that as a kid. lol
I think it looks worse, but practical. I had to 'sqeeze' the guards where the brakes and frames are as they are a bit wide for a racing frame. More for a touring bike.

Before

After

When mounting mudguards you need to trim the stays to the length needed for the bike. That's what you still need to do and then your bike willlook ok. Best equipment for this is a dremel, a hacksaw and a vice might do too.

I was just looking at the photos and thinking this. The stays are the type that wrap around the mudguard, one piece stay. I would have to cut the 'bolt hole' off and curl a new 'bolt hole' where they are fitted to the forks

There are usually two versions of stays. One has a fitting on the end and is mounted with some sort of bolt to the mudguard itself. This one you trim at the mudguard side. The other one wraps around the mudguard and has straight ends near the forks. This one you trim at the fork end. Usually they have some small attachment gizmo. Take that off first before you start cutting and check how much stay you need for a secure fit.

It's one of these eternal buy cheap, buy twice things.

Decent mudguards that fit well and are well made, last for ages and are a pleasure (well, as much as they be) to have fitted on the bike.
Cheaper or rubbish ones are an endless pain in the arris starting off with fitting them, and carrying on until you take them off and you are always glad to see the back of them.

SKS chromoplasts for the win! (Our whatever they are called this year.)

I have just been to my shed to sort them out and I realised they are the type of stays that go on to the wheel axles. It looks a lot better now. I thought the holes where the bolts went through were a bit on the large size. lol.

Ivo":35aqi38v said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhzECAgQx3c

I have fitted this type b efore and these are easy to set up. My ones, the stays go around the mudguards, from wheel to wheel. One piece stays.
Thanks for the link though. ;)

ian.allen2":1hvx4qch said:
I have just been to my shed to sort them out and I realised they are the type of stays that go on to the wheel axles. It looks a lot better now. I thought the holes where the bolts went through were a bit on the large size. lol.

Ah, the usual thing. You fiddle for hours and can't get it done. Exhausted you go to have a cup of tea, return to the shed and it immediately is clear to you what you should have done hours ago ;).

Ivo":1qzul06q said:
ian.allen2":1qzul06q said:

Ah, the usual thing. You fiddle for hours and can't get it done. Exhausted you go to have a cup of tea, return to the shed and it immediately is clear to you what you should have done hours ago ;).

Spot on. It took me absolute ages to find some bolts, then some nuts to fit, then washers to stop the bolt heads going through the end of the stays. I still didnt realise the stays went over the axles. :oops: .
Still, as you say, after a break away from it, a cuppa and a posting on a forum, going back to the play room, it all falls into place. ;)

Back