Mudguard eyelets?

crogthomas

Dirt Disciple
I've not seen these square braze-ons before, are they mudguard eyelets of some sort?
DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4974.jpg

They're on my latest acquisition, not sure of the make either, anyone recognise any of the following details? Some of the components seem to be from around the 1970's or 80's, the Suntour cyclone derailieur for example, but of course they may have been changed. The original colour is green under the silver paint and artfully pinstriped lugs.
DSCF4966.jpg

Downtube shifters, 500 drop Weinmann brakes, lugged fork crown:
DSCF4971.jpg

Headset:
DSCF4970.jpg

Separate rear derailieur hanger:
DSCF4967.jpg

26.6/.8mm seatpost:
DSCF4989.jpg

Something stamped on dropout, no adjusters:
DSCF4982.jpg

Cheap 1980's Raleigh perhaps?

Looks to be an early frame, Ive seen this on bikes from the 30s and 40s. Im sure one of our experts will let you know!

Nice old frame,I'd say post war, late 40t's early 50t's . Those bosses are for
mudguards ,which were attached with wing nuts for quick removal,standard practice in those days when everyone raced on the bike they rode to work on.

crogthomas":dr3btvco said:
I've not seen these square braze-ons before, are they mudguard eyelets of some sort?
DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4974.jpg

They're on my latest acquisition, not sure of the make either, anyone recognise any of the following details? Some of the components seem to be from around the 1970's or 80's, the Suntour cyclone derailieur for example, but of course they may have been changed. The original colour is green under the silver paint and artfully pinstriped lugs.
DSCF4966.jpg

Downtube shifters, 500 drop Weinmann brakes, lugged fork crown:
DSCF4971.jpg

Headset:
DSCF4970.jpg

Separate rear derailieur hanger:
DSCF4967.jpg

26.6/.8mm seatpost:
DSCF4989.jpg

Something stamped on dropout, no adjusters:
DSCF4982.jpg

Cheap 1980's Raleigh perhaps?

Frame is almost certainly early postwar (1945 - 50), the fittings are for mudguards and the wrong headset has been"jammed"in, this frame was designed for a headclip.

Hence the"bell"style flared out head lugs.

Roadking.

headset standards!

Thanks chaps. Some Googleing for me to do now.
Just when I thought I'd seen every possible type of headset standard! Yet another one I've never even heard of.
It seems that I've got an old frame that has been 'upgraded' sometime in the 70's or 80's.

Looks to me like you may have a problem with the top race...a bodged fitting in the upper race of a conventional headset may have resulted in damage of the"cup"that the balls run in(which is a part of the headlug).

I'd be stripping that down before doing anything else - including Googling!!!

Roadking.

Back