Muddy Fox Gate Rust

ssor

Retro Newbie
Fully intended to keep on-top of the rust situation on my raw ‘89 Courier… the idea was with a bit of WD40, car wax and TLC I could keep it to the surface only. However, kids have gotten in the way of that and it’s been untouched… what’s next?

Ride it until it fails? 😅
Clean up and rattle can? 🤔
Professional strip and powder coat? 💸

Fits like a glove as is really quite lively and fun for a tank, so I kinda want to prolong its life but I’ve no idea how bad the rust — can be saved?

Some photos attached. Can snap a few more if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_9716.jpeg
    IMG_9716.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9715.jpeg
    IMG_9715.jpeg
    879.7 KB · Views: 41
please dont spray or powder coat it.

try to find a way to keep the patina.

it looks like a really cool rat rod bike.

love the handlebars. what ones are they as i think they would look good on my 95 rockhopper.

Me too… perfect anti theft device for London.

The bars were designed and sold by Planet X, made by Nitto. Got them on sale a few years back for hardly anything. Nothing on the website anymore but they may have some kicking around if you reached out. They’re actually really quite comfy. Failing that they’re a few others that do similar and instagram favourite Stridsland is now making some.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.20.16 AM.jpeg.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.20.16 AM.jpeg.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
unfortunetly the price is way way too much just for a pair of handlebars.

Right! Fair play to him as I'm sure he'll shift them. Pelago used to do some reasonably priced ones, but they've been out of stock for a while.

Just looks like surface rust, as long as the chainstays don't show any rust blisters all should be good👌

was it the paint on type with a brush ?

thinking of stripping my bike completely and then leaving it outside to get some surface rust on it before coating with varnish or clear coat.

Latest posts

Back