MS Racing bikes - anybody remember them...?

Petaypan

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

I'm trying to find some info on MS Racing bikes.
My first "proper" mountain bike was their ProComp XT back around '89. It was white and yellow and strangely was spec'd with Deore II (not sure why it was called the 'ProCompXT'??)had I remember Mike Kloser winning the Grundig World Cup race in Aviemore as I watched it on the TV!! It must have been one of the first TV covered races.

From what I remember, MS Racing were only around for a couple of years I think, then they became Alpine Stars. They looked the same, same graphics etc, but different logo...

Any info would be interesting, I'v looked on the web many times but never come up with anything.

Cheers!

There's a few very nice examples on here (try the search). Your memory is not failing you. Kloser was their star rider, then bought / rebranded from Smith to Alpinestars.

Very nice bikes indeed.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/search ... de=results

There's more than that to hunt out though. A really nice example sold not too long ago which isn't in that list.

MSR

Malcom Smith Racing, MSR were very big in the off road motorcycle scene.
You could do a google search for MSR and their history.
Never seen the bikes but I used to use their stuff back home. I used to race enduro and cross country for a local Kawasaki shop and MSR stuff was part of the deal. Still have my bike tools in one of their bumbags, high quality stuff.

Jamie

MSR hired Roger Malinowski away from Fisher to manage their MTB line, and he brought Kloser with him.

Fisher ended up with the last laugh though. He's still making bikes.

Repack Rider":2ljgfaym said:
MSR hired Roger Malinowski away from Fisher to manage their MTB line, and he brought Kloser with him.

Hardly, didn't Malinowski go on to found BOB, the trailer/stroller company?

Russell":2azj92mh said:
Repack Rider":2azj92mh said:

Hardly, didn't Malinowski go on to found BOB, the trailer/stroller company?

I was thinking of Malcolm Smith. I still see Roger at the trade shows.

I remember being passed by Mike Kloser on one of those (or it could have been an Alpinestars) in South Wales on a climb, I also managed to block (inadvertently) Tim Gould on the singletrack, which was the cause of some embarassment, because it was recorded on an mtb video that several people I knew go to see... That wasn't the worst though, I hadn't managed to enter the race on time, so every lap the organisersss were trying to stop the geezer with no race number as he went through the lap tent. :roll:

My very first mountain Bike was the same MS racing model you are describing
did me proud for many years , survived me through many races ,and many of the parts were still going strong on another hack until very recently

Happy memories

Back