Mountain Klein - Remember this one?

RichieB":1pl54710 said:
Hey, that's my bike!

Sweet! For the record, a forged alloy stem would have been a wiser direction to go if you were looking for smooth alloy. Certain materials and designs were engineered to require the actual wled material - why would you want to risk the danger of your stem breaking just to make the welds pretty? I understand wnating to match the smooth welds of the frame, but you likely should have got a stem with smoother lines - oh, and good luck stretching the bar clamp over a riser without completely wrecking the stem.

:D

Not sure I agree there - if you are relying on the weld cap for strength then you are pretty screwed!

As long as Hydroah has not significantly reduced the wall thickness then he's all good strength wise.

That drop bar machine is something else though - great work - is there a build thread?

utahdog2003":1pl54710 said:
crconsulting":1pl54710 said:
Poor stem :(

I was thinking the same thing.

Poor American stem gets shipped off somewhere to somebody who doesn't understand the beauty in an American stem IS the welds. Does the end result look good?...I guess so, sure. Should it have happened to an American? Hell no. :cry:

"Fettled", as a word, has taken on a new meaning. :shock:

:LOL: :LOL: you should write a novel on it - I have a feeling it'll be have happy ending though :D

I kind of appreciate the sentiment but it's just a stem, there's lots out there and unlike skinwalls, chain rings, rims etc they'll last for a good few more years yet :D

More inspiration

These were found in almost NOS condition. The large one had a Manitou on it when I found it but I found an original from another mountain klein. The one with the painted fork was all original. The original owner provided all the reciepts. The paint was truly astounding on both. The original rollercam covers were even still intact. I would say go with matching the original red. It is flashy without being obnoxious.

As Found:

Re: More inspiration

sandmangts":iuhob0qr said:
These were found in almost NOS condition.

WOW! :shock: Beautiful Bikes!!

Nice job on keeping them original. The Bullmoose bars look so appropriate on those bikes.

Just as I remember seeing them.

very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

What exactly is a "build thread" ?

Anyone can buy repro Klein decals, I figure. The bare Mountain Klein frame had no decals on it, and I wanted to emulate the spirit of a Cunningham, and 'Hams have similar top tube decals - It's a build I did for my own satisfaction - to hopefully help define the 'Kleiningham' category. It's not the only one, but I just wanted to stay as true as possible to the mission.

It's mainly a 1986 Suntour XC grouppo with Specialized Flag cranks w. 26/40 tooth rings, Saturae rims, Specialized Alloy headset, Regina hollow pin chain and a WTB Dirt Drop bar on a Sakae FX stem. And I grafted a Suntour Sprint short cage derailleur

The seatpost, saddle and pedals are not year correct, but add to the flavor of the bike - and allow me to ride it without getting all kitted up.

I'll try to post more pics and details later, if anyone's interested.

yo-Nate-y":1ipan5ps said:
RichieB":1ipan5ps said:
What exactly is a "build thread" ?

Really? An example would be this very thread.

Indeed! Although to be honest RichieB, with the amount of potentially contoversial choices you made, in what is, a very original build...

... It is maybe just as well you didn't - or some folks might have jumped all over you :)

Whereas the finished product speaks for itself as a very useable, unique bike!

Although what motivated your choices, what you used, where you found it, what you made, what you modded and how, would actually be very interesting, even in retrospect

Those NOS looking examples that sandmangts has/had are so good too! I love that how something so different can be done by people on here given the same frameset. I beleive they are sold now?

Let's do something nice for that poor old stem

I replaced the bolts in my stem with black electroplated cro-mo ones

dscf3111.jpg

I cut the stem bolt down to be just 5mm longer than the closed expander wedge

dscf3105.jpg

dscf3101.jpg

The roller bolt I blackened with some matt stove enamel

I had a massive hunt in my retro-stash and found this which was exciting, but sadly it's too long for this stem, I would have cut it down but the threaded section needs another 5mm of thread cut into the plain section... I don't have a vice at the moment, at east not the clamping kind...

dscf3113.jpg

So that's up for grabs in for sale section...

The original expander bolt is at least two inches longer than needed and weighs a ton

The stem is still heavier than the ControlTech GTSeve sold me

Or even a humble Zoom, but not by a massive amount, not now anyway

dscf3109.jpg

Check out my high tech scales! Pounds and Ounces baby!

Just need to mirror polish the stem now

I won't show it in context 'til that's done

I want to know why nobody in your house has eaten thier Easter egg yet :shock:

Nice work on this build so far, I do like a scandal too and this thread has a couple of them! Loving the quality of your work though and your I'll give it a go attitude (something I lack) even if you've never done it before.

:)

I'm feelin' the love for the mountain klein. :cool:

Also I love what you've done with the stem, nice work. I can't help thinking that if this was modified by some racer or other back in the day and it showed up today with a bit of provenance then it would probably be considered cool.

Added to this I am afraid that I have to confess that I hadn't heard of 'American' stems before this thread so I wouldn't have assigned any special importance to it and might well have done the same as you if I had felt so inclined. :oops:

Still whatever the case the well used phrase around here it's your bike and you should do it in whatever way pleases you. Don't forget it's often the tinkerers and modifiers that are also the greatest innovators. Don't lose that spirit only to become a museum curator. ;)

Thanks guys

The stem's evidently quality which is why it's worth the effort

I always get stuck in... I'm a little crazy, but I have a vision and I want to see it happen

It was cool the that yo-natey-yo confirmed that it was decent kit, but I'd already decided to use it and I'd already eyed up those monster welds

It's gonna look really great when it's done

It is stage 1 polished now and it looks pretty satisfying to see it on the build so far

I'll do another pic tomorrow

Latest posts

Back