Mountain Klein - Remember this one?

I am starting to understand a little about the reaction to the stem.

Hydorah:

If you haven't already seen it check out Jeff/firstflights thread on his recent haul:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150217

There are a couple of 'Americans' amongst the finds on the facebook page pics and as was pointed out, the welds are very clearly a predominant feature of the frames character.

I still stand by what I said but lets just say that my appreciation of why folks have such strong opinions has grown considerably.

Yeah that's a balanced view, which I share - I didn't argue with anyone who thought it was an uncool thing to do

Those are valid opinions, well, those that were qualified with some reasoning

The way I look at it is some guys will make changes others won't

...Roof chopping a model A Ford, Chopping or bobbing a pre-war Harley or even Indian... Common practices in some circles

these are valuable in standard trim, valauble stuff, Hot rodded and modded

About my stem tough, it should also be noted that mine was super rough. Unquestionably nice kit though

Hence appropraite on a quality level for the build

Quick edit: Thanks for mentioning this Facebook thing, I found a pic with the same stem as I have in original condition, happily it is many times better condition than what I started out with and it is a duplicate in their collection

dont get hung up on the details mate
hows the rest comming on
dont FU*KING strip or paint it

awaiting updates

mikee":187qbzs9 said:
dont get hung up on the details mate
hows the rest comming on
dont FU*KING strip or paint it

awaiting updates

Yawohl Meine Mikee!

Slowly accumulating the right (in my opinion) bits, not quite decided on saddle/seat post/bars pedals but everything else is settled or all my choices are already owned

To be honest the finish question needs to be settled before I build it up, but settled properly

I've been investigating that finish and it's original paint, weird I know but it is, I've seen an early attitude in the same pink and blue as a two way fade, which forms a link

The forks aren't primered they are painted straight over zinc plating no marks on 'em anywhere never been sanded, I peeled a sticker off which said 'Bitte nicht berühren' and underneath found the glassy glossy Klein finish you can see yourself but can also see into, this one of the only places this is evident, so the finish is worn consistent with being old and not amazingly cared for

...And the sanding really does render it unsaveable!

So any re-fin has to be back to these original colours, which I think is the consensus anyway

I have the frame at the top of my stairs, I see it everyday, it won't be forgotten about!

i'd just laquer over the "sanding " its history and the story of the bike
too
thats just the sentimental old fool i am

hydorah":1f83ml0k said:
Quick edit: Thanks for mentioning this Facebook thing, I found a pic with the same stem as I have in original condition, happily it is many times better condition than what I started out with and it is a duplicate in their collection

Basically pretty common then by all accounts ;) :LOL:

Sorry... I won't mention the stem again :p

Watching the rest of the build with interest. :D

Prometheus":3v97tmgb said:
hydorah":3v97tmgb said:

Basically pretty common then by all accounts ;) :LOL:

Sorry... I won't mention the stem again :p

Watching the rest of the build with interest. :D

Haha! Stem has certainly become a four letter word around here

Turn out your parts bin, you probably have five or six

What I would actually say by no means an irreplaceable, precious heirloom so love it or loathe it no real need to freak out

I would have been less happy to read 'Wow we really need one of these, can't find one'

But then again it's restorable anyway, should anyone ever be so minded

There really is no drama, one dude types 'poor stem': band wagon: ROLL!

Moving on

So taking Mikee's advice... (Much needed kick up the arse)... I decided to move on

Got the wheels and tyres sorted

Had to re-space the axle on the back wheel to get it in the dropouts

These wheels and tyres are in mint NOS condition I kept them back from a previous build for just such and occasion

Still doesn't mean you won't encounter trouble

After 20 years the lock nut on the non drive side didn't want to budge

So I took everything of the drive side and slid the axle out

dscf3190.jpg

Then in order to give myself some thing to fight against I locked a couple of nuts together on the drive side - no dice the two nuts started turning so I stopped immediately!

dscf3194.jpg

Ended up with everything I could find locked against one another and beat the b@st@rd

dscf3191.jpg

dscf3193.jpg

dscf3192.jpg

They look look like this fitted:

dscf3195.jpg

I also got my chainset together:

dscf3208.jpg

Outer is a Stronglight Dural in black 50t, inner is a stainless original Onza Buss Saw from BITD, just temporary (not black!) the inner is a Shimano SG

Just as an aside; Here's a close up or two - or even six - of an unremarkable detail:

dscf3205.jpg

dscf3209.jpg

dscf3211.jpg

dscf3212.jpg

dscf3215.jpg

dscf3216.jpg

Got a bit bored...

Yesterday I was rummaging around the internet for a suitable riser bar, when I suddenly remembered that an Orange 02 I had split had a riser bar

So I went and dug that out, had half a bike hanging off it

dscf3223.jpg

Anyway an hour later:

dscf3228.jpg

I'm getting to the point when everything else is gonna be sorted before the paint!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You can't do that to risers :roll: ;)

This thread is pure gold, a battle between functionality, history, preference and practicality. Love it.

Bike looks VERY nice BTW. I'm grabbing another beer....

Latest posts

Back