MOTOR CHAT

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":av7qf5bw said:
And in breaking news I have to announce I've blown the engine in the Subaru and just bought a Stop Gap Oil Burning Skoda Octavia in a very shady part of Dundee :p

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit.

Re: Re:

jimihendrix":3692jjw8 said:
An old Citroen should do nicely :) Never had a Citroen before anyway.

I bet you don't have another one either ;) I'm getting travel sick just looking at the thing... my stomach has never been able to stand the awful bilious wallowing of "real" Citroens :(

I can see why you like it though, I do appreciate something a little bit different, it looks in great nick for the age and best of all isn't a diesel... I also love to see once "ordinary" and now rare cars like this kept on the road (more so than exotica) even if they are French!

Re:

I was working near Westerham around 1990 when a fleet of test drive Citroen XMs went passed loaded with journalists. Looked weird even then :LOL:

Dundee - Lochee (very near where I bought a Triumph T140 as it appens)

Subaru - Motor turned into a bag of nails on the A1 in January. The RAC and Travelodge were involved :evil:

Re:

Been working on the Passat for it's MOT, changing front suspension. That's all 8 suspension arms and the shocks, top-mounts and springs (15mm lowered from Passat sport suspension). Thought a couple of hours a side since I'd previously (2 years ago) removed all the bolts and copper-slipped them. Aye, right.

All OK until I come to remove springs from upper-mounting and shock. Compress spring with my spring-compressor, remove top plate and upper spring mount, then find that the spring-compressor is not long enough to remove from spring as it is still compressed. When fitting the compressor I could only grab 3 coils due to the short length of compressor, so resorted to compressing one side of spring to get the other clamp off :shock: , then refitting that one alongside the one still on but this time was able to grab 4 coils on compressed side. This eventually was successful.
I was absolutely shiteing myself hoping that neither clamp would jump off inflicting damage tae ma fissog or hauns.

Thought fitting the shorter spring would be OK but still couldn't compress it enough to get top spring-mount on. Desperation, or lunacy more like, set in, so compressed the spring as much as I could on 3 coils then tied several loops of polypropylene rope :facepalm: round coils next to compressor clamp so I could remove clamp and refit grabbing 4 coils. Same with other clamp. Managed to get it compressed enough to fit top spring-mount and all OK. Meanwhile my erse wis making chocolate buttons knowing I was being really stupid, if I'd seen someone else doing that I'd have stopped them, it's such a dumb thing to do.

Thing is I need to do same on other side as I can't get a new compressor before I finish job. :roll:

Re:

Fitted new glow plugs to the Stop Gap Skoda tonight :D

....and if anyone knows how to mount a E46 BMW 328i motor/gearbox into a 2004 Subaru Legacy - I'm all ears :|

Re:

A straight 6 in place of a 4-cylinder boxer? Using the boxer's gearbox?
e14505.gif

Guid luck wi' that. :LOL:

Or is this a whoosh?

Re:

Just a thought which crossed my mind when driving across the country last night. I have a lovely 328i motor and box in an otherwise iffy car and a nice Legacy with a dead motor :|

I'm sure its not worth the hassle/expense :facepalm:

Back