MOTOR CHAT

Re:

Does the car have any kind of diagnostics on board - LED flasher unit or something? I know you can get Chinese clones of the Peugeot / Citroen diagnostics units but not too sure how far back they support (my brother got one for his Xsara but has never got round to actually installing the software as my Autocom clone supports a lot of functions on his car.)

Re:

Yes, previous owner tried something like that, made his own LED flasher unit to hook up to the ECU, didn't come up with much though, this car predates the more sophisticated (Lexia ?) diagnostics, he tried changing all the usual stuff, air temp sensor, crank sensor, injectors, fuel filter, idle control valve, lambda sensor.

Runs fine when stone cold, starts to run rough as it heats up, cuts out at junctions, restarts fine, slightly uneven idle until fully warm, once fully warm runs fine apart from a slight stumble when climbing a long hill.

Pulls fine when fully warm, Turbo spools up ok, EML never on (it's working though)

It's a strange one.

Re:

Excellent stuff that yellow tape/paint. I did one of my cars like that eons ago. Think it was the Citroen BX or Sierra Sapphire. Looked cool. Never took it abroad though :LOL:

I'm currently fighting with the Skoda Octavia cold start system. New glow plugs etc but still smokey and noisy until warmed up a few minutes.

On the plus side its doing 60mpg :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

Aye, funny thing is they stopped using yellow lights in France years ago, so you'd even look odd in France driving around with them :LOL:

Jings 60mpg, i dont think i've owned a car that does over 25 :LOL:

Been welding the Disco lately, mainly passenger side inner wing and drivers side headlight box, not too bad but needed caught before it got any worse.

On the plus side dead easy to whip the front outer wings off for access :cool:

Re: Re:

jimihendrix":dblv7f6q said:
Yes, previous owner tried something like that, made his own LED flasher unit to hook up to the ECU, didn't come up with much though, this car predates the more sophisticated (Lexia ?) diagnostics, he tried changing all the usual stuff, air temp sensor, crank sensor, injectors, fuel filter, idle control valve, lambda sensor.

Runs fine when stone cold, starts to run rough as it heats up, cuts out at junctions, restarts fine, slightly uneven idle until fully warm, once fully warm runs fine apart from a slight stumble when climbing a long hill.

Pulls fine when fully warm, Turbo spools up ok, EML never on (it's working though)

It's a strange one.

Does it have a coil pack? If so check the plug that goes to the pack. I was working on a C4 which would start then cut out - owner had spent zillions on everything except the one weak point. I unplugged it and showed him the green powder in place of what should have been shiny copper. Cleaned the plug and it was fine after that.

Re; the PSA engine cutting out and the water temp sensor. I had exactly the same issue on a Peugeot. Exactly the same result too, but I did fix it in the end.

Clue; there's more than one water temp sensor... In fact, there were three of the bloody things, and I changed the wrong one.

legrandefromage":a2g7enso said:
jimihendrix":a2g7enso said:

It's a strange one.

Does it have a coil pack? If so check the plug that goes to the pack. I was working on a C4 which would start then cut out - owner had spent zillions on everything except the one weak point. I unplugged it and showed him the green powder in place of what should have been shiny copper. Cleaned the plug and it was fine after that.

Has a coil pack LGF, pretty sure if it was the feed to that problem would be there all the time, this is definitely relative to ambient temperature, started and ran fine thismorning but it was 18 degrees, was running terrible a couple of weeks ago when it was 2 degrees.

GSB":a2g7enso said:
Re; the PSA engine cutting out and the water temp sensor. I had exactly the same issue on a Peugeot. Exactly the same result too, but I did fix it in the end.

Clue; there's more than one water temp sensor... In fact, there were three of the bloody things, and I changed the wrong one.

I know, three at the back of the cylinder head, green, blue and brown, was lead to believe the green is for the ECU, the brown and blue are for the radiator fans and the temp guage on the dash.

Mr Panda":3ltacnbo said:
Excellent stuff that yellow tape/paint. I did one of my cars like that eons ago. Think it was the Citroen BX or Sierra Sapphire. Looked cool. Never took it abroad though :LOL:

I'm currently fighting with the Skoda Octavia cold start system. New glow plugs etc but still smokey and noisy until warmed up a few minutes.

On the plus side its doing 60mpg :xmas-big-grin:

Try giving positive excitement to the buzz bar for a few seconds before starting. You can normally hear the relays clicking if the ECU is sensing the temperature correctly.

The coil plug, when cold and wet, would be a better conductor than when warm and dry

I had loads of errors come on my dash but only about an hour into a journey - it was carbon build up on the rear light cluster plugs. Cold frosty mornings - fine. Warm sunny afternoons - beep beep beep.

Now I've fixed it I kind of miss the beeps!

highlandsflyer":1l1ueg4y said:
Try giving positive excitement to the buzz bar for a few seconds before starting. You can normally hear the relays clicking if the ECU is sensing the temperature correctly.
Busbar, it's only a buzz bar if you grab hold of it at the wrong moment........ And it's a hell of a buzz. (Though I doubt anything in the skodas electrics would bear any resemblance to what you or I would recognise as a busbar. A big clump of barely identifiable cables world be more like it.......)

Back