MOTOR CHAT

Re: Re:

jonthefish":2zv3tlky said:
If my pondering is total embarrassing cobblers (not unlikely) please advise accordingly before I do something stupid :facepalm: .

Dont worry total cobblers is compulsory in the MacRetro section :mrgreen:

No, that should work.
Probably easier to pull the glow plugs as long as they are not seized than mess about with the injectors and fuel pipes though. Just disconnect the fuel solenoid so it doesn't fire while testing. If you do end up having to remove the head it's best to keep the injectors and pipes in one unit if they can be removed that way. And if you know your way around a petrol 4 stroke head then a diesel head should be too strange.

Re:

Yip, that should work but I was going to mention finding some way of preventing the injectors skooshing diesel everywhere.
Maybe FFTC's idea of taking out the glowplugs would be better than disturbing the injectors. If you do this you'll still need to stop the injectors filling the cylinders with diesel though. Hope you can suss out what's wrong.

old_coyote_pedaller":2znsx9pg said:
If you do this you'll still need to stop the injectors filling the cylinders with diesel though. Hope you can suss out what's wrong.

Disconnect the electrics from the fuel stop solenoid will do that. ;)

firedfromthecircus":34s4jgo9 said:
old_coyote_pedaller":34s4jgo9 said:
If you do this you'll still need to stop the injectors filling the cylinders with diesel though. Hope you can suss out what's wrong.

Disconnect the electrics from the fuel stop solenoid will do that. ;)

I'm a total novice when it comes to diesel engines, all my experience has been fixing/building petrol engines.

Hopefully the reliability of the VW 1.9 TDI in the Passat means I will only have the routine maintenance jobs like the cambelt which is due in next month or so. A wee bit more complicated than a Scirocco or Fiat Twincam though.

Re:

Much appreciated you fellows! Looks like I have another Sunday job.
Right enough, the glow plugs look easier to get at and remove. If I'm honest I didn't even know that they went right into the combustion chambers. Will report back once I've had a wee go at this.
cheers

Re:

Ah well. Glow plugs out. Crank. No bubbles in sight so looks like compression was getting into coolant right enough. Head will have to come off. Doom and gloom.

Re:

Progress has been slow on the Lotus due to work, waiting on parts and other stuff getting in the way but it's slowly getting there.

Got the shafts built up thismorning, used the press in the handy HGV workshop at work.

SRKFvucl.jpg

Got the shafts on but annoyingly found play in the rear wheel bearings, couldn't detect this before with the play in the U/J's.

I've been advised on another forum to retain the standard air box as it acts as a flame/fuel trap if the carbs spit back but how sexy do these look ? :cool:, got a pair of deep K&N's coming too (so these trumpets will unfortunately be covered), will just invest in a good fire extinguisher i think.

ERqVsU1l.jpg

Out in the sun for the first time (minus bonnet for now), paint looks really smart in these pics and is at a glance but it's rough under close inspection, can live with it for now though.

A42L3N0l.jpg

Messed about with the carbs and it's running better, will need to change the cam cover gasket though (you can just see the oil smoke in the above pic as the engine is running and burning the oil off the manifold), the engine is canted over in these and it can be tricky to get the lower cam cover to seal.

fp0OFYJl.jpg

Hopefully MOT next Saturday :cool:

Meanwhile i managed to get a loan of this wee beast to run about in :D

rGryFdml.jpg

Re:

Mark if I ever see you in a normal car I will keel over I think :D

Back