MOTOR CHAT

Lovely, didn't know BBR were offering that upgrade - that's a pretty decent hike in power. Does it still have a cat after the manifold and another in the exhaust? I remember following one bloke's story on one of the MX-5 forums from several years ago when he tried a supercharger kit - I don't think he ever quite got it running right.

Mine's an early Mk3. 8 year old 1.8, Winning Blue (still the best colour!) - just gone past 105k. Been rock-solid reliable till this year - new exhaust, then the caliper above and a dodgy replacement front hub that had my mechanic pulling his hair out - ABS light kept coming on, he thought it was a wiring issue and spent a Saturday trying and failing to trace it, eventually tried another front hub from a different supplier and the problem was fixed. He wasn't a happy chappy.

Already been through a hedge in mine (well actually it was a fence), wasn't quite pointing backwards though. Had the good fortune to crash next to a garage who heard the crash, trundled over and dragged me out of the field :)

epicyclo":2gxup8w7 said:
I used to be a car enthusiast, a temporary perversion of my youth back in the deluded days when derailleurs seemed a good idea.

My first car was a barn find - one of the Singer team cars from the 1934 Le Mans race - cost me £15. Bit of petrol, a borrowed dud battery, some energetic work with a bicycle pump (lots and lots of it!), about half an hour of maybe this time with the starting handle, and I drove it home unencumbered by a driving licence (too young), registration, insurance, or MoT. It had a crunchy diff, and that was the first of several major jobs I had to do on it. Luckily I didn't know diffs were supposed to be difficult, I just thought I wasn't very good at it and stripped it a few times to reshim and rematch cogs until I got it right.

Singer LeMans Special Speed "Porthos"

You didn't buy anychance buy it from a chap in Leeds did you?

My father had a Singer Le Mans and sold it off when the garage it was living in started to fall down around it... He of course blames the arrival of me for the car having to go.

Re:

Bought this last weekend

iVDTeB9l.jpg

Had to sell the big BMW to fund it, so i've gone from a comfortable, well built, quiet, reliable car to a cramped, poorly built, noisy, unreliable one :roll:

On top of all that the Disco is dead, started blowing out tons of blue grey smoke and misfiring on Thursday night, so i have two knackered cars and no transport.

There is no cure for me :roll:

Re:

It's a Series 1 Elite, actually it's not too bad, rear drive shafts need re-built (these things eat rear shafts), needs a fuel pump and Battery few other bits and bobs, it sat outside parked half in a hedge for six months, drove fine on the way home though (Hamilton to Paisley)

Long term the interior will need tidied and it really needs a respray.

Didn't know a lot about Elites before i bought it, looked at the shape on Google images, kind of like a Reliant Scimitar (another car i fancied), imagined the rear seats folding down, may be able to get a bike in the back i thought, ha, fat chance :LOL: , rear seat is fixed and the tiny boot will hold two bags of shopping.

Will upload more pics later.

Not that I can drive (least ways not a 'proper'car legally) but because of my period of three wheeled Reliant ownership i rather like Scimitars too so if this looks similar I'll watch this latest build with interest.

Back