More dumb questions!

rogerthecat

Dirt Disciple
Ok now have the Cindercone frame to bits and have measured some stuff but remain a tad confused about what I can use to create my dream bike. I want to run this as a singlespeed - a superlight, minimalist, classic, steel framed speed machine.

But, I am just a teeny bit confused about the plethora of cranks on the bay of fleas. Some can and some cannot be split, some cost more than my house and, after all, I am trying to set this up with a nice, light, stylish, cheap (don't forget cheap) crank/BB/ring combo- anyone got any recommendations/thoughts/wild ideas.

Help will be rewarded by the sight of my legs and lungs exploding on trails around the Peak once it's finished. The aftermath will then be on display outside the Woodbine Cafe or Hallamshire A&E depending upon which is open.

Thanks in bewilderment.
Paul.

Shimano XT M730 - Classic chainset, reasonably priced, polish up well. Fit a 34t-36t chainring mounted on the middle ring position with a bashguard on the outer, a fair few come up on the for sale forum here.

You'll need a 122mm BB, Shimano UN54 is what you need, pure vanilla, nothing fancy will last for ever and cheap too.

Chainring 110BCD 5 hole is what you're after for the above.

My 2p worth

oof!

Ok those cranks are nice but seem a tad pricey for the budget build.
Have a wife, 2 kids and a VW habit to support as well as this.
Any others I should be looking at?

MT60 (Deore) similar vintage, '88-89 and similar in looks too.

http://mombat.org/1988Shimano4.jpg

They look good as a single speed as there is no casing protrusions for the granny ring, just five 5mm spacers. The cranks are a 110 BCD, I'm running mine with a 118mm BB, though it is a geared set up.

SP

Thanks

Bio-Pace - there's real blast from the past.
Anyone know it actually worked?
Not that it matters, we were all wearing neon so we were probably clueless about most things.
Off to check these out now, thanks.

Back