Wanted Money waiting for a complete 90s steel bike in 19" or 20"

The Dekerf is out of my price range, as beautiful as it is. The Lightning is nice, but the spec is probably not quite what I’m after. Thanks though!

In the current market I’m sure there is wiggle room. There isn’t many bikes I regret selling but my dekerf is one

In the current market I’m sure there is wiggle room. There isn’t many bikes I regret selling but my dekerf is one
Yeah. Not sure that much though and hate to lowball. If it doesn’t sell and I don’t find something in the meantime I might chance my arm though as they are a great bike.

Maybe it is worth short listing brands and/or models you like? and even creating a bit of swipe file/pinterest board. If the Dekerf hits the spot, could be worth adding to it - even if not within your range. You might spot some patterns. I know I like autumnal colours, for example.

And consider how you want to feel - maybe some of the racier positions won't suit given the use case.

You can even extend this to components. For example, I'd probably go for XT rather than XTR if it were me, but you might prefer the extra bling.

Agree with greencat...you might want to narrow the window as your basically asking to view pretty much every bike atm....

Great position to be in, but a wish list might help or a "top 10 " of bikes.

Good luck.

Maybe it is worth short listing brands and/or models you like? and even creating a bit of swipe file/pinterest board. If the Dekerf hits the spot, could be worth adding to it - even if not within your range. You might spot some patterns. I know I like autumnal colours, for example.

And consider how you want to feel - maybe some of the racier positions won't suit given the use case.

You can even extend this to components. For example, I'd probably go for XT rather than XTR if it were me, but you might prefer the extra bling.
Agree with greencat...you might want to narrow the window as your basically asking to view pretty much every bike atm....

Great position to be in, but a wish list might help or a "top 10 " of bikes.

Good luck.
Great advice chaps. I shall do that very shortly.

As per the advice of @greencat and @Tootyred I've put together some more specifics which help might guide anyone thinking about selling. Sizing needs to be rideable, so can't really consider anything under 19" centre to top.

If someone also wants to consider a deal of cash and a 2016 Commencal Meta AM v4 in trade link here, then that's also on the cards. As everyone knows, the second hand bike market is incredibly flat, so it's been sat in my garage waiting to be sold. I think there's a value of around £400-£500 within it. I noticed at the weekend that it has a sticky rear caliper, but remains unridden since I first posted the ad on here.

I am very partial to catalogue (or close to) specs or something that feels right, i.e British components on a British frame, US components on a US frame, bars matching stem etc. Full groupsets as well preferred, though if there's a bling set of cranks I'm game for that :) . XTR, XT, DX, XC Pro, XC Pro MD, XC Comp MD are all good as I appreciate some frames command more. I'm not expecting NOS XTR or anything and know that I might have to cut my cloth accordingly!

All early to late 90s considered and I would also consider other frame materials than steel if it's something a little out of the ordinary or rare, like an Orange Aluminium O, though I'm a little wary about shelf life. I'm not a huge GT or Kona fan, so those can probably be struck off the list 🙊. Trek is also out unless it's an 8900 composite as they are cool as.

These are some makers I can think of which I've always admired, though I accept most, if not all, are out of my price range so I'm not sure what value they add. I've been sent a couple of high-end steel Marins too and they tickle my fancy:

Zinn, Dekerf, Brodie, Roberts, Yeti, Mantis, Orange, Ritchey, Bontrager, Cannondale

PS. I know not all of these are steel but just bike brands I've always liked!

Back