Modern shimano options

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've only ridden Campagnolo for over 20 years now, but have managed to accumulate a fair few Shimano compatible parts (wheels , brakes, chainset, some cassettes, 9 and 10s i think). To make a full build I think I only need shifters, front and rear mechs, and possibly cassette and chain, depending on the shifters and mechs ...
So, if I was looking to swap a bike over to Shimano, and have it somewhat future proofed with spare parts, what would he the best option to look for? 11 speed 105 looks good, but my hubs are "standard" 8-10 speed HG, so I think only 11s MTB cassettes will fit? Are these readily available? Or should I look at 10 speed to avoid problems with my wheels?
This is all for mechanical shifting and rim brakes. Hidden cables on the shifters please, so I think that rules out anything less than 10 speed? And preferably 105 level or above... Although I am considering Ltwoo just on price alone!

105 11 speed is great - you might need to replace the rear hub though.

I use an slx 11 sp mtb 11-40 cassette on a 8-9-10 fhb, the later rear derailleur with the drop link mount will usually work 40t if long cage - then with 34/50 chainset you can climb almost anything, and pedal like the wind!
The 105 caliper brakes are good too, and the later front derailleur with the twizzly top, although confusing at first, is a superior design.

I'd get the 11 speed over 10. I have 6700 10 speed. The lever hoods are wide (fat) and Shimanos first attempt at concealed cabling used a tight routing meaning shifting needed a heavyweight action. 11 speed, as well as adding a gear made several mechanical improvements.
Can't you just lose the bottom sprocket (who needs an 11 tooth top anyway) and put the remaining 10 on your existing hub, until you get new wheels in the future?
Also beware any 6800 chainsets, which as we've seen in media, have had some breakages

Yes, i think 11 speed would be the way to go. Have been reading up on brake cable pull ratios though, and there is no published info that I can find.... I think Shimano changed cable pull ratio when they went to gear cables under the tape, and then again with 11 speed?

Not quite. The 105 and ultegra 10 speed, under the tape systems uses the old pull ratios and you can mix and match anything prior (road stuff, I don't know about mtb 10 speed)

The new cable pull ratio came with DA, ultegra and 105 11 speeds and 10 speed Tiagra 4700. So, 10 speed Tiagra 4700 is different to everything else Shimano 10 speed

Edit - just seen you've written brake cable pull. My answer was for gear cables. Don't know if this was a typo or you have concerns re brake mechanical advantages

Last edited:
Yes, I was talking about brake cable pull. There are differences, but I think most combinations will still work, just maybe not as well as intended if using "non compatible" calipers and levers? There is very little info out there, and certainly not as much as there is regarding MTB canti and V systems not working together... Not too concerned about the gear cable pull, as those are easy enough to match. I was also wondering about 10s tiagra, because Microshift for example market some levers as specifically tiagra compatible... So I guess if tiagra is completely different to anything else 10 speed, then best avoided!

11sp Ultegra 6800 is very affordable 11sp if you need to acquire any parts like STI's etc. I have to say 11sp for future proofing tbh.

Modern shimano cranks Dura Ace 9100/9200, Ultegra 8100/8200 are bonded and not forged unlike before and were prone to breaking. Furthermore Dura Ace 9100/9200, Ultegra 8100/8200 STIs are much more fragile than their 7800/6600 predecessors with external cabling, the internal cabling and the problem of cable shifting issues maked these shifting levers a problem over the long run. If you really want a hi quality and reliable transmission then get Dura Ace 7800 10 speed.

Modern shimano cranks Dura Ace 9100/9200, Ultegra 8100/8200 are bonded and not forged unlike before and were prone to breaking. Furthermore Dura Ace 9100/9200, Ultegra 8100/8200 STIs are much more fragile than their 7800/6600 predecessors with external cabling, the internal cabling and the problem of cable shifting issues maked these shifting levers a problem over the long run. If you really want a hi quality and reliable transmission then get Dura Ace 7800 10 speed.
Have to agree with you on the 7800 kit. Really nicely finished too

Latest posts

Back