Modern parts that get the retro nod

hotbuns

Dirt Disciple
Living as I am in NZ, you're more likely to find a dodo than decent old school parts (or if you do, they're likely to have been thrashed, munted, then stored in the shed since). If it ain't carbon and sporting the latest double-chainring 31.8 baas down here, then it ain't no good. Or that is the impression I get. Anyhoo, given these difficulties, what modern day parts do we all think cut it for old-school bikes? I'm thinking black Tune cranks in place of Cook Bros RSRs...what does everyone think? I've got a '95 Hei Hei (courtesy of Wadsy), and am trying to be tasteful without offending it's original lines.

Yes, Tune cranks look the part. But they're extremely expensive - even in Europe. If you have that kind of money, why not just wait on Ebay until the perfect Cook's turn up?

Alternatively, Middleburns haven't changed (visually) in a long time. I have 2 pairs & IMO they suit a lot of new and older bikes. Both of mine are black, but my preference would be silver/polished.

Royce bottom brackets and hubs
Silver Mavic rims (you can take the stickers off)
Reissued retro saddles, smoke tyres etc...
Middleburn chainrings and chainsets
Thomson stems and seatposts
King headsets
XTR v-brakes and levers are pretty much the same as M950.
Easton alloy bars

Why not put up a wanted ad here for the original stuff on Retrobike? Most of us are willing to send internationally.

otherwise ebay? Most UK sellers are willing to send abroad.

The new Ritchey Classic stuff is very old-school shiny. There's even a 22in flat bar, although it's 31.8mm clamp which is a bit incongruous :)

Titec bar ends,
X-lite bar ends,
Flite classic,
Flite 1990
Use alien seatpost
Hope hubs
Syncros has new parts that are not that bad (headset, stem, post)
Paul V-brakes
Paul brake levers
Michelin tubeless tires (black and gray, will fit them on my next retroproject cause tubeless tires are the one thing I don't like to ride without)

Must be lots more, these are just some parts that came to mind

Shoot me down in flames, but to me Thomson stuff harks back to the lovely days of CNC products.

Thanks for the tips, folks. A lot of fodder there that would look really good. I'm currently running stuff out of the spares bin - Middleburn Duo in black and silver, Pace RC45 pewter stem, Hope Aheadset, XT thumbies, 1997 XTR hubs with Mavic silver ceramic rims (with the 'digital' style writing on them?) and early 2000s Syncros post. Must admit, that once I can get Paypal to understand I have moved overseas, a few bits from the UK would be most welcome! I'll keep you all posted on progress.

If you get stuck bidding on ebay with people refusing to post international I will buy it and you can reimburse me,then I will ship it for you ;)

I have done it for a few people on here....no probs.

mm

Good thread. I've been pondering the same question myself for a re-vamp of my Kona. A lot of the obvious parts have already been mentioned.

So far the parts I'll be using are ;

Chris King headset
Thomson S/post & stem
Avid Ultimate V brakes
Tune cranks (when I have the money)
Moots or Seven Cycles ti handlebar (when I have the money)

I think to some extent it depends on the frame. Your Kona, although quite old still looks modern with the sloping tt.

Back