Mixing shimano components?!

markus250

Dirt Disciple
Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade the Alivio on my 1994 M-Trax 1000 and put 1994 XT on but having some confusion!!

So far i have a mint XT m737 rear mech (8spd) and NOS XT m737 rapidfire plus shifters/brake lever combo. I can easily find XT 8speed cassettes in near mint condition on ebay but one thing that rarely comes up is an XT chainset in either mint condition or new old stock from either 1994/5. I see quite a few which say IG chain only on them (i think from a few years later). Obviously the chains have become narrower and narrower as the years have gone on but would one of these work with what i'm after? I'm also on a mega budget too which makes things harder!

Anyone shed any light on what will work or won't work within shimanos range?

It's pretty much all compatible across the groupsets.

Just avoid mixing 7 speed shifters with 8 speed cassettes for example. Also canti levers with V-brakes don't work so well.

7 and 8 speed chains are the same width and don't worry about sticking with Shimano chains either.

Cheers for that but can i use a chainset from a 9or even 10 speed groupset from the newer shimano stuff, with an older 8speed cassette and 8speed chain? Its so confusing with HG, IG, SGX and the new Dynasys stuff!!! :D

Awesome! Now i can keep look out for a chainset from a few years after 1994 thats in good nick too! Its the crank arms that seem to always suffer having scratches and scuffs all over them. Rings i can find new old stock no problem so if i can find some 5arm xt cranks then add the rings later that could be an option, until then though a newer chainset will have to do! :)

Back