MG F and TF

One of the guys I work rebuilds MX2s (and used to race them) and the budget I have would secure me a reasonable MGF but a ratty MX5.

hamster":3plic4bh said:
lewis1641":3plic4bh said:
Does she adore the.mg so.much she couldn't be tempted with an mx5? Sure they have their issues but I think they are better in every respect.
Common engine fault is coil pack . Body rust issues in rear section of sill and rear quarter panels caused by blocked drain holes. Jap import models tend to have better spec.

I agree on the toys, but the Jap ones don't have laminated windscreens and IIRC the brakes are smaller and can get overcooked more easily with spirited driving. A pal of mine also encountered a nightmare as the standard Japanese alloy wheels are slightly different and sourcing a single replacement was nigh-on impossible.

there are differences, agreed. mine was an s special so came with a limitted slip diff, hardly any uk ones had that!

as for brakes, never noticed a problem on track or road but it is an easy upgrade to fit the 1.8's brakes. in fact, could that be some confusion? 1.6 has smaller brakes than 1.8

The mx5 ....a buddy had one for his bint but was the jap version

It's called the eunos roadster in japan..tonnes of those over here and plenty at a good price

An MX5 is off the menu!

Its an MGF or something else that:

A. Is not French

B. Is not a vauxhall (unless its old)

C. Is not dull...

D. can be had for under a graaaaaand, guv.

Truly shocking cars. Bought one, head gasket blew on the way home, then the belts went, the electrics blew, the handbrake snapped, the discs seized, the rear window split, the plugs needed changing (had to drop the engine out to do that), it overheated whenever it sat for more than 5 mins in a queue and then I sold it. Bought it for £5000, spent another £4000 on repairs and sold it for £1000.

Bought an MR2 which was superb-had the same fun mid-engine feel as the MG but you didn't get that sinking feeling every time you saw a queue on a motorway. In the three years I owned it I had to pay nothing bar the service cost, it never broke down, it never complained. At the same time my brother bought an mx5 and loved it with the same low cost, high reliability.

Don't touch the MG, you will regret it everyday. Go for a last model MR2 if the funds are there, or an MX5 if you're on a budget.

Head gasket failure on the k-series in greatly overstated. Yes, they can go but if you warm the engine up properly before hammering it you'd be unlucky.

dan d":31bwhydr said:
Head gasket failure on the k-series in greatly overstated. Yes, they can go but if you warm the engine up properly before hammering it you'd be unlucky.

but the problem is all the years of neglect from previous owners

Back