MG F and TF

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The missus saw one on ebay and said 'ooh thats nice' so now it looks like once the van is sold, I will be looking at a hairdressers car.

Lots of web info on these and the obvious head gasket issues, hood and electrics but aside from that they seem no worse than any other car from the era.

mgf4.gif

it will either work fine ish or go horribly wrong

we have just sold one 1998 . 13,000miles from new. bought from new. sold it for £900. as MG swavsey could not fix it after throwing ££££££ at it.

The TF would be a beter option.

:D

There was lots of niggle factors with them.

You may get lucky, and find one where the HG has been sorted with the improved kit, and all the maladies and roof issues have been sorted.

I suspect really, though, the likelihood is you'd end up with a car that has so many irritations you'd come to hate it.

Does she adore the.mg so.much she couldn't be tempted with an mx5? Sure they have their issues but I think they are better in every respect.
Common engine fault is coil pack . Body rust issues in rear section of sill and rear quarter panels caused by blocked drain holes. Jap import models tend to have better spec.

Honest opinion?

Go for a Mazda MX5 mk1 instead. Better to drive, more reliable, and about the same price. And, if you squint, it looks like a 1960s Lotus Elan.

mx5 or an mr2 ,avoid the mg like an avoidable thing
there's probably a better choice as far as mx5's go too
no real faults with the mx5 and more fun to drive ,with the added bonus
of being able to sell it on when you want too

my mate clem has an import mx5 that he's had for the past 15 or so years , it has 240,000 odd miles on it now never missed a beat and
still look good

lewis1641":244znfzq said:
Does she adore the.mg so.much she couldn't be tempted with an mx5? Sure they have their issues but I think they are better in every respect.
Common engine fault is coil pack . Body rust issues in rear section of sill and rear quarter panels caused by blocked drain holes. Jap import models tend to have better spec.

I agree on the toys, but the Jap ones don't have laminated windscreens and IIRC the brakes are smaller and can get overcooked more easily with spirited driving. A pal of mine also encountered a nightmare as the standard Japanese alloy wheels are slightly different and sourcing a single replacement was nigh-on impossible.

if you do get the mg,make sure the engines got all reciepts and history,if the heads been done haggle on price then go and get a new header tank and lower pressure cap. id do this even if the engines as was,they only take 1 good skim as well if blown.

good little cars tho,handle well and look cool,for a chicks car ;)

+1 for the MX5

I've got a 2002 Alfa Spider (one of th good ones, we've had no problems so far touch wood)

and if it hadn't of been for the missus, I would have gone for the mazda

Back