Marmite brands - the love hate relationships

MJN":3lj3lj7j said:
Dr S":3lj3lj7j said:
chris667":3lj3lj7j said:
Much as it shames me to say this:

Fat Chance.

No bike can be as good as people say they are.

You need to try one to believe how good they are. I would not have four Fats in my stash if they were poop. ;) Nothing comes close after your first long ride on a Fat.

Sorry to say it but mine did nothing for me :cry: they do look nice though!
Must admit i'm getting sick of the sight of them, especially SAB's and Yo Eddy's. It makes a refreshing change when someone posts up a Wicked or Buck Shaver these days! Not doubting the quality or anything i'm sure they're great. So i'm told they ride well too, but MJNs comments above are getting thinking about that. Marcus knows his stuff on that score.

Think Fat Chance might be ready for a coolwall vote?

Specialized - my first proper MTB was an 89 Rockhopper. I've had 2 Stumpjumpers, 2 FSR's and a Sirrus road bike since then and I've enjoyed owning every one of them. I love the late 90's US made M2 bikes.
Litespeed - owned one in the late 90's and would love to get another.
Breezer - test rode one in the early-90's, but couldn't afford it. Lovely looking bikes.

Dislikes, no specific reason, they just don't float my boat:

Trek, GT
Cannondale (expect maybe early CAAD bikes with Pepperoni forks)
Marin (had a 98 Mount Vision, but not for long)
Kona (except mid 90's Ti and Explosif hardtails)

sinnett177":31lcqp52 said:

I reckon that would be a bit too straightforward to be of any particular interest.

There is a point though about the very high ratings Fat's get. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely frames and I have two but are they really any better than other similar high end frames? For me the answer is "no" but it's a bit Emperor's New Clothes where even to suggest such a thing is to flag yourself up as a tasteless, no clue merk (which I surely am but it's got little to do with any bike related preferences).

Away from derailing the thread even further, I've never been too excited by anything from Trek, Giant or GT (like quite a few posters earlier) and, at the risk of incurring a lot of wrath, try as I might I'm just not 'feeling' Yeti - I don't really hate any of these, just feel indifferent really which is perhaps worse.

ededwards":2olbygzp said:
sinnett177":2olbygzp said:

I reckon that would be a bit too straightforward to be of any particular interest.

There is a point though about the very high ratings Fat's get. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely frames and I have two but are they really any better than other similar high end frames? For me the answer is "no" but it's a bit Emperor's New Clothes where even to suggest such a thing is to flag yourself up as a tasteless, no clue merk (which I surely am but it's got little to do with any bike related preferences).

But Ed, surely as arbiter of all that is cool in the Retrobike world you take the Clarkson role and can simply re-adjust the wall as you see fit.

For me, Klein. Bleugh!

ones I don't like:

Yeti- never wanted one and find them as nice as blancmange

Kona- Sorry did I fall asleep

Gary Fisher- bores the pants off me.

L-O-V-E-S:

Cannondale- yummy, yummy, yummy, I know not many folk on here like them but I do and don't care :LOL:

GT-apart from i-drives I never liked or wanted one

Manitou- Such a thing of beauty I adored mine but guess what? yep it cracked :cry:

sinnett177":m5xua4yx said:
MJN":m5xua4yx said:
Dr S":m5xua4yx said:
chris667":m5xua4yx said:
Much as it shames me to say this:

Fat Chance.

No bike can be as good as people say they are.

You need to try one to believe how good they are. I would not have four Fats in my stash if they were poop. ;) Nothing comes close after your first long ride on a Fat.

Sorry to say it but mine did nothing for me :cry: they do look nice though!
Must admit i'm getting sick of the sight of them, especially SAB's and Yo Eddy's. It makes a refreshing change when someone posts up a Wicked or Buck Shaver these days! Not doubting the quality or anything i'm sure they're great. So i'm told they ride well too, but MJNs comments above are getting thinking about that. Marcus knows his stuff on that score.

It is all personal preferance though,Si loves his which is fair enough,I just wasn't feeling it with mine,prefered my Klein Attitude and Yeti ARC and as you can see plenty of people don't like either of those!

Bleahhh FAT filistines :p but its ok, one of you has a raliegh and the other likes kliens. Its brutally apparent and embarrassing how much taste the both of you have :twisted: and your opinions are not worth the pixels they appear in.

kaiser":jas7jkxx said:
Bleahhh FAT filistines :p but its ok, one of you has a raliegh and the other likes kliens. Its brutally apparent and embarrassing how much taste the both of you have :twisted: and your opinions are not worth the pixels they appear in.

And at least one of them could ride you into the ground ;)

MJN":1mcvofjf said:
kaiser":1mcvofjf said:

:eek: nooo way.The raleigh would fall to bits and the klein guy would be too worried about his nails getting chipped :LOL:

kaiser":25dzv6s0 said:
MJN":25dzv6s0 said:
kaiser":25dzv6s0 said:

:eek: nooo way.The raleigh would fall to bits and the klein guy would be too worried about his nails getting chipped :LOL:

:LOL: but the Klein guy could also be on any number of other bikes,he'd have to be the Kleins broken! :oops: :LOL:

Back