Marin Team Titanium - Authentic?

I'm not sure what that means. The rear dropouts say "quad butted" -- can we confirm that by the data in the above site?

Btw, I've asked the owner to send me a pic of the serial #

Re:

By dropouts do you mean the seat stays ?

If so, I honestly would not trust a single sticker on this bike, look at EL on the link I posted, it is mean't for light short use Time-trial frames. Not something I would use on a Mountain bike frame.

Yes, seatstays. My 1998 Marin Team Marin also says "quad butted" and it's the real deal Tange Steel

Never mind this whole thing. The guy texted me just now that he sold it. After repeated texting today about me pick it up. For all I know I might've alerted the buyer by posting here. Not too difficult to find the listing

Re:

You might have also alerted the seller that we were on to his little game of stickers on everything, and he pulled the plug. Do you really honestly believe that someone at the factory put a Team Titanium sticker on an obviously steel frame ???

I do. I used to work at a large printing company which has been printing these collector's books on a limited basis available only for ex employees and "special" people. Once I saw I guy get his and the cover was printed up side down. He returned it. " Later he found out that his copy was worth $2k vs the normal copies on ebay for $10.

But, you might be right. This didn't feel right anyway. Also, I swear I saw a Marin steel frame on ebay about a month ago and the seller was warning people to discard the stickers

I'm f'n mad either way. I missed an opp to at least examine the frame.

Interesting frame.

They are indeed factory decals, and they're very hard to reproduce from this era as they're water-decals rather than vinyl. As such they have a difference appearance.

The Team Marin was a very lightweight custom quad butted steel frame in 1999 (which were painted pearl white), and this is one of them. I genuinely believe that the factory put the wrong Team decals on it too, as they're too original. It's definitely not Titanium, and that's easy to see from the photos, but it's kind of understandable that one late Friday afternoon the new guy in the factory put the wrong decals on!

Back