Marin Team Titanium 95/96

Canuk

Retro Guru
I just picked up this Marin Team Titanium, in pretty much sparkling condition, very little use. I'd like to fit discs to it, obviously easy with the SIDs on the front, but no bracket to the rear.

Question: one of those bolt on rear conversion kits possible, and 1. Is it effective as a brake, and 2. Is it maybe too much stress on a Ti weld/joint to be worth it?

Attachments

• IMG_20240926_111358.jpg
    IMG_20240926_111358.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240926_111940.jpg
    IMG_20240926_111940.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240926_112113.jpg
    IMG_20240926_112113.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 22
I just picked up this Marin Team Titanium, in pretty much sparkling condition, very little use. I'd like to fit discs to it, obviously easy with the SIDs on the front, but no bracket to the rear.

Question: one of those bolt on rear conversion kits possible, and 1. Is it effective as a brake, and 2. Is it maybe too much stress on a Ti weld/joint to be worth it?
I wouldn't risk it on a ti frame tbh. Usually there are reinforcements on the non drive side for handling the torque, which this frame is lacking. There are different conversion kits too, which can be mounted on the brake boss at one end, maybe the stress is splitted better using them, but i'd just go with the best possible v brakes on this. Something like xtr952s, Avid arch rivals, or Magura race lines.

I think those on the pics you've attacched are not fitting this frame, anyway. For light use some top shelf v-s are fairly enough imho, they can be surprisingly strong with the right pads, levers, and alignment ofc.

I know where you're coming from! But this would be a runaround for me. Not a pub bike (I've got a Dawes Kingpin for pub duty) but something to bomb about the lanes and tracks on. Discs would be a challenge, but I do like the stopping power...

Congratulations, beautiful bike.
I agree that it is a risk, it makes the bike ugly and for the use you have decided to give it, the discs contribute little.

As mentioned before, I think that some XTR 952 will not disappoint you. They are a winning bet. I don't usually use Shimano, except for front derailleurs and cassettes where I think they are unbeatable, but I have to admit that those brakes are wonderful
You can combine them with Avid Ultimate brake levers (1st generation with its corresponding "V chip") or failing that with any Avid that uses the adjustment dial. This dial uses a "worm screw" system and thus it is very easy to adjust Modulation to your liking; a "sweeter" braking or a "brutal" braking with an infinite number of intermediate adjustments.
And I use that combination in my ATX 800 and I can guarantee that they have nothing to envy of the disks neither in power nor in modulation for XC use

I love the Magura brake rims, they are also very progressive and have good braking. But in my opinion they make thin tube bicycles ugly because they are very lumpy. They are also a nuisance to remove the wheel and adjust them the first time so that everything is in the right place and equidistant. It is laborious, although this last point depends on how "maniacal" you are with perfection.
Of course the "V" ones adjust better and faster, they are easier to maintain, the spare parts are more accessible and also lighter.
But this is an opinion

Attachments

• IMG_9588.JPG
    IMG_9588.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: R-V

Latest posts

Back