Marin Muirwoods 1992 - I'm back!

sportline cab

Dirt Disciple
After a brief flirtation with this forum - having sold my San Andreas to a nice forum member last year - I couldn't resist the urge to buy another retro bike, although my budget was rather meagor this time! I just couldn't bring myself to buy a cheapo Halfords special for family bike rides............

The bike needed to be simple, preferably hardtail or rigid - hence this Marin Muirwoods bought for just £75. I haven't picked it up yet, so as usual with Ebay there is an element of risk, but from the photos she looks a good'un. A complete 200GS groupset, 21 speed STI(?) rapidfire, and the flouro paint doesn't seem too faded either. It even appears to have the original tyres! These were well out of my parent's price range when I was 13, so provisionally rather chuffed.

Obviously not seen it in the flesh yet, so initial plans are a good sevice/clean up/polish/paint if necessary. Decals may need some work too. Then I'd rather like some Maguras - yellow of course - and some appropriate front suspension era-wise without changing the overall simple classic look. I'm used to having something to cushion the blows........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
$(KGrHqMOKpYE25bnwbRpBN2YEM,U0!~~_3.JPG

Looks like it's in very good condition. I do have fond memories of those early Marins.
Also good to see that it appears to have the slightly later M201 200GS alloy crankset, which will be considerably lighter than the older M200 version, which was basically made of black plastic coated steel.
It weighed as much as an equivalent sized lump of lead.

It'll be good to see some photos when it arrives.

Might be picking it up late tonight. Chainset does look different to a Pacific MTB bike I had in 1991 which had '200GS' - in the black lead sense! Been comparing to the catalogue scan and it seems remarkably original. Bar ends may go depending on which direction I take it. May decide to enjoy as is.

Model year is 1992. Pedals, grips, seat, bar ends and cages are not original - everything else is as far as I can see.

Very clean bike for year and model - those things tended to get beaten to death.

Nice buy - saw that one myself as caught my attention as it's down the road from where I work. Bit small for me - good job as would have been tempted as looks tidy - as said previously, most of this age are normally fairly battered but this looks clean and original.

Just got it back and very pleased with the purchase for the money. Its got various small scratches all over but some will polish out. I have the original saddle on it now and the pedals are different far eastern plastic ones from the pics, which work OK but need replacing. Maybe some NOS Shimano ones - what ones were on there originally? Tyres are original and in great nick and the wheels even have the Araya decal on them! Not sure where to get original style grips from as the scruffy bar ends will probably go. The bottle cages are also going to preserve the classic lines - that is when the co-pilot is not on the back! New decals are likely too as a degree of fade - is it supposed to se=ay 'Afterburners' on both seat stays? I know most of these bike's paint has faded, but on this occasion I don't think its half bad. First impressions are a well serviced and looked after ride. I'll look after it of course, but it will earn it's living as the family day out bike! :D

Originally there were two different pedal options when you have a look at the catalogue.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12556
VP230 Plastic, Cr-Mo Axle and Marin Lite Cromo Axle. So why change from new to old tatt? :)
I would leave the current pedals on the bike as long as they work because Shimano LX/DX/XT pedals in good condition are highly overpriced.
The catalogue says originally grips were Marin Lite Foam. Never saw a single Marin Lite Foam grip in my life.
Maybe they had no branding. Maybe they didn't really exist or maybe i'm just wrong. :D
My Eldridge Grade came with Ritchey W.C.S. foam grips. They do what they are supposed to do since 1991 so you maybe want to search for a pair of them.
On my Muirwoods seat stays there is only one "Afterburner" decal. On the other side the decal says "Race Breed".

Cheers,

Adam

juice":mibru5u0 said:
The catalogue says originally grips were Marin Lite Foam. Never saw a single Marin Lite Foam grip in my life.
Maybe they had no branding. Maybe they didn't really exist or maybe i'm just wrong. :D
My Eldridge Grade came with Ritchey W.C.S. foam grips. They do what they are supposed to do since 1991 so you maybe want to search for a pair of them.

I remember early (90, 91, 92) having grips indistinguishable from good old fashioned Grab-Ons, a set of those would look fine and are cheap and easy to source:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grab-Retro-St...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e63de9c40

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
marin lite grips

grey black foam grips in a hex style and a raised doughnut collat to yhe inside like the 93 ones I have on my pine just average equipment used on a variety of bikes but quite comfortable

Back