Marin knowledge sought...

Lostcause

Retro Guru
tempImagepUJxtN.png tempImageYAfiAp.png tempImageTBdp6o.png tempImageaOREss.png tempImage4JNy19.png tempImage2TsYH4.png Ive been fancying a steel Marin for quite a while and a quick look on gumtree found this locally for $20. It goes against my new mantra of NOT buying any bikes but $20....
I don't know about the hierarchy of these steel Marins but from what little I have found it looks like its not at the bottom but possibly a model or two up from entry level.
Thing is its made from triple butted Tange tubes, very light considering the components and very nicely made which would suggest to the uninformed (me) that its not very entry level at all well Frameset at least. The chap I bought it from has owned it since new and can't remember all the different components he's swapped over the years but thinks he bought it somewhere between 93-96 ish but not 100% sure.
the frame number is F27IACO55, which suggests from what I can see online,
Built at Fairly
Team Marin
1997??
Does anyone know what ive got?
I'm hoping its just a budget crap one that was particularly disliked by everyone and unpleasant to ride or it might end up getting restored and kept but my loft is embarrassingly full of my impulse buys as it is and her indoors sometimes doubts my sanity and fiscal responsibility, this won't help her think otherwise.

Last edited:
Lowish in the model lineup.. It's a perfectly fine steed, but not something people would get overly excited about. Ultimately it is an entry level, mas produced, Taiwanese bicycle. Bargain at 20 bucks though.

Lowish in the model lineup.. It's a perfectly fine steed, but not something people would get overly excited about. Ultimately it is an entry level, mas produced, Taiwanese bicycle. Bargain at 20 bucks though.
Marin didn't mess about with frame sets even on entry level bikes, triple butted!!! Thanks for that minor_LEGEND: I best make it safe to ride and have a go. Don't suppose you have one and if so what are your impressions of the Bobcat trail?

Bobcat Trail from 1997, with mostly low spec Acera and Alivio (new in 97) components, V-Brakes had been exclusive to better groups in 1997
Marin Bobcat trail 1997.jpg

The RS Indy is from the following year.

Last edited:
Hi Lostcause, just to confirm that the bike is one or two up from base model which was Bolinas Ridge or Hawk Hill, I am surprised that it's triple butted however the steel bikes were slightly out of fashion. I would think the V-brakes are an after-fit at this range level/time, I'd guess 98/99 which is where front sus became fairly standard fit. My son uses a Bobcat and it's a perfectly fine Trail bike. I've got a Team & Bolinas Ridge, both ends of the spectrum! It will make a nice ride, especially at your buy-in price!!! ATB.

Hi Lostcause, just to confirm that the bike is one or two up from base model which was Bolinas Ridge or Hawk Hill, I am surprised that it's triple butted however the steel bikes were slightly out of fashion. I would think the V-brakes are an after-fit at this range level/time, I'd guess 98/99 which is where front sus became fairly standard fit. My son uses a Bobcat and it's a perfectly fine Trail bike. I've got a Team & Bolinas Ridge, both ends of the spectrum! It will make a nice ride, especially at your buy-in price!!! ATB.
Thanks for the info BOBU he did use the birth of his kids to guess the age and seemed more confident of the first half of the '90s and he probably fitted the fork but I'm not sure. The fork does have 94 cast into it but that might not be the year although it is in one of those raised circular castings you see on everything. Do the numbers point to year or can they be unreliable?
Im looking forward to having a ride on it..

Just rescued one from its way to the tip - same F27xxxx frame number, all original and with cantis and Alivio bits. Looks a very tidy frame although the condition isn't as nice as yours.

Back