Marin Bear Valley

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me what year/years Marin manufactured the Bear Valley with a rear v-brake hung under the bottom bracket please? Also, does anyone know where abouts in the Marin line up the Bear Valley comes, I thought it was just below the Nail Trail, but I'm probably wrong.

well, assuming you mean U-brake, behind bottom bracket?

early days stuff! 1989 in the region of. it will probably have a 1" headtube too. i'm unfamiliar with serial numbers from pre-'90 (under bottom bracket) but, that will shed some light on it all.

mid-range was the bear valley for ages.

nail trail is modern in the range appearing around 1993/94 in aluminium.

typically you had.

bolinas

muirwoods

palisades.

bear valley

eldridge...

etc

the range did differ from year to year slightly.

get some pics up!

bear valley was mid range (nice frame average components) the rear brake im assuming you mean a u brake fitted under the chainstays behind the chainset was a popular feature in the late 80's the 91 catalogue shown the bear with cantis so i would put yours at 88, 89 ish but could be as early as 87 the nail trail was better iirc and evolved into the alu frame. most opted for the bear se as it had a better spec and wasnt a lot in it on price. all this info is from a rust memory when we used to sell them so i might be out a bit. :D

I have yesterday takem delivery of what I believe is a Marin Bear Valley 1988 with u brake. The bike is in a mess, the previous owned had rapped the frame in black tape for some reason, the rear wheel has been replaced & the top tube has a dent in it. Can dents b taken out? I will try to get some pics up, but was wondering if it would be worth restoring? Most of the components are Exage Mountain 300 LX or Deore.

Black tape make it sound like this was a train station beater. Dents in tubes, leave them alone as for the paint get it repainted or powder coated. I have a 89 pallisades which has been single speeded. 36:18T was the magic ratio for this one. If the chain stays are the same length then this could be an option if the drive train is a bit beyond it's best. Old Marin's really ride well.

Some pics of the beast I took in between the rain this afternoon....

Alice11thBirthday063.jpg

Alice11thBirthday066.jpg

Alice11thBirthday065.jpg

Alice11thBirthday052.jpg

Alice11thBirthday051.jpg

Alice11thBirthday050.jpg

Alice11thBirthday049.jpg

Alice11thBirthday047.jpg

Alice11thBirthday046.jpg

Oh well, I've decided to tidy this one up a bit & managed to make a bit of a start whilst enjoying the remains of our 'summer' last Sunday....

2012-09-09115648.jpg

2012-09-09115657.jpg

2012-09-09115636.jpg

I've had it powder coated gloss black, cleaned up the components & will add a few new touches, she's looking a lot less sorry for herself now......

90's still had a u brake but only on the baby frame - not sure about 91's ?

Yes, dents can be removed (very successfully) - even DIY at home. Check my build thread for the fork saga, might be a bit late for you now though ?

WD :D

Back